New Discussion юеВ

EVA6000 + Windows Server 2003 x64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Francisco M├бrquez
Occasional Contributor

EVA6000 + Windows Server 2003 x64

Hello,

I'm missing one or more steps in my setup.
We have an EVA6000 already working with some mochines. I want to add a new Proliant DL380 G6 and attach some disk space to it.
I have installed the HBA driver, HP MPIO Full Featured DSM for EVA4000 v2.01, added the host in the command view and pressented the vdisk to this host.
I can't see the disk.
What am I doing wrong? (the first thing is not to switch off the cellular 'couse I have some people calling me each 5 minutes to see if I found out).
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA6000 + Windows Server 2003 x64

When you added the host, did you enter the WWPNs manually or used the pull-down menue?

If you did it manually, you might miss a correct zoning in the FC switches.

What do you mean by "I can't see the disk"?
Where did you look?

New EVA vdisks are 'empty' - there is not even a signature/partition table on them, so you have to create one from the disk management first.
Francisco M├бrquez
Occasional Contributor

>When you added the host, did you enter the
>WWPNs manually or used the pull-down menue?
>If you did it manually, you might miss a
>correct zoning in the FC switches.

I had to entered manually because the pull-down menu showed nothing. I took the WWN port number from the server's HP Management Hompage (groups of 4 characters separated by hyphen). Maybe I must have entered the switch port's WWN?? Was my first option but I discarded it.

>What do you mean by "I can't see the disk"?
>Where did you look?
>New EVA vdisks are 'empty' - there is not
>even a signature/partition table on them,
>so you have to create one from the disk
>management first.

I looked at the server's Disk manager.

Thanks for your answers ;)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

When the pull-down menue shows nothing, and nothing comes up after a reboot of the server, you have a connectivity problem (most likely in the fabric) and you don't need to look an the server.

Check on the switch whether the FC HBA logs in properly and is visible in the name server. If it does, check the switch zoning.

After a change, reboot the server so that the EVA gets notified through the switch. If you have already assigned the WWPNs (properly) to a host you won't be able to use the pull-down menue as an additional connectivity check.
Francisco M├бrquez
Occasional Contributor

All I need was to enable the zone again to take effective the configuration. Thank you so much for your help ;)
Francisco M├бrquez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to Uwe Zessin for leading me to the solution :)