New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA6400 and RSS

SOLVED
Go to solution
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

EVA6400 and RSS

Hi,

if an EVA6400 storage is populated with 6 diskshelves and 36 disks with the type, are the RSSs made by 6 disks, in accordance to have each RSS made vertically across the 6 diskshelves ?

And to have the EVA6400 continuing after a diskshelve lost?

Jean-Pierre
4 REPLIES 4
HenkW
Advisor
Solution

Jean Pierre,

As a rule RSS's have 8 memebers.
If you initialize an eva with 36 disks you get 3 8 member RSS's and one 10 member RSS.
To optimize your stystem you should start with a multiple off 8 disks (40 in your case)
If you realy think one RSS memember per shelf helps. You require 8 shelfs and a muliple of 8 disks. Then init your array.

Regards
Henk
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

Thanks Henk,

it is what i thought.

So, as RSS are counted from 6 to 11 disks, i believed 6 diskshelves with a multiple of 6 for the whole disks were OK for RSS with 6 disks.

Jean-Pierre

Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

RSS groups are made up of between 6 and 11 disks with the optimal being 8 disks.
As far as I am aware the EVA will try to build as many 8 disk RSS groups it can then make smaller/larger groups for any that don't fit. So I would expect that in your case you would have 3 x 8 disk RSS groups and 2 x 6 disk groups.
If you want to have the best chance of spreading RSS groups equally across enclosures you need to start with 8 enclosures and then add the disks in groups of 8 at a time.
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

Yes, we will start with 8 shelves and a multiple of 8 for disks