108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA8000 only 4 hostports used

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donauer Hans

EVA8000 only 4 hostports used

hi,
is it a supported configuration to use only 4 of the 8 hostports on a EVA8000?
i used this configuration with only hostports FP1&FP2 connected without problems. the only thing i had to do is to remove the SFPs in the remainings slots for FP3&FP4 for not having errors in commandview.
after upgrading from XCS6100 i had to change to hostports FP3&FP4 as the communication with commandview seems to have switched to this ports. now everything works fine, but i can┬┤t get rid of errorindicators in commandview, even when SFPs in FP1&2 are removed.
is there any documentation or knowledge, if this configuration is supported ?

best regards
hans
4 REPLIES 4
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA8000 only 4 hostports used

Hi,

Not as far as I am aware.
I presume you do not have enough fabric ports to use all the host ports? Not using all your ports could impact on your performance but if you do not need all of it then it should not matter.
As long as you know that there is a "problem" then it should not affect any troubleshooting you may have to do in the future.
Note, if you do send any event logs to HP [assuming that you have a support contract?] in the future then it would be a good idea to notify them that these ports are disconnected for whatever reason.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

I believe it's not supported unless you go direct-attach instead of fabric connect. In either case you should not take out the SFPs and continue to ignore the CommandView errors, as if you are having a cable/port failure for 2 FP ports.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your configuration is perferctly supportde.
In order to get rid of the error message you need to install loop-back connectors to the empty controller ports.

Out of the EVA user guide:
The HSV controller firmware cannot differentiate between an empty host port and a failed host port in a direct connect configuration. As a result, the Connection state dialog box on the Controller Properties window displays Connection failed for an empty host port. To fix this problem, insert an optical loop-back connector into the empty host port; the Connection state will display Connected. For more information about optical loop-back connectors, contact your HP-authorized service provider.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Donauer Hans

thanks all for the answers, i will organize the loopback-connectors.

cheers
hans