New Discussion юеВ

EVA8100 RSS Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
compaqact
Advisor

EVA8100 RSS Question

Hi There,

I have recently installed 2 new EVA 8100s (2C12D config) running XCS6110. Both were configured with 2 disk groups each seperated by the slot numbers that the disks were in. Disk group 1 was all of the disks in drive enclosures 1 - 12, and slots 1 - 2. The second disk group was all of the disks in drive enclosures 1 - 12 and slots 12 - 14.

I checked the RSS information during the implementation and the EVA is happy and the RSS config has no shelves in common. During the implementation the customer decides that he requires additional space in a disk group in each EVA. 8 additional disks were added to DG1 on both EVAs in slot 3 in drive enclosure 1 - 8. Now when I check the DG which had the 8 disks added to them, both are showing up that there are 2 and 3 RSS's with shelves in common across the EVAs.

Is there any reason that this has happened ? Is there a simple solution to fix ?
Is this normal behaviour ?

Many Thanks

Compaqact
3 REPLIES 3
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA8100 RSS Question

Hi,
maybe i dont understand it clearly, but if everything had worked fine, then there were 3 old RSSs (1-3) (24 physical disks) and the fourth new one (RSS4) (now 32 physical disks). Its because the RSS default number of physical disks is 8 so you did it inline with the best practices and everything seems to be fine....
the pain is one part of the reality
compaqact
Advisor

Umm not quite - let me show u the RSS information that I have. You can see that the new drives added. You can see that the new drives addedd caused RSS 1 and 10 to have the problems
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

yes now i see it and it can be repaired online via the ungroup/regroup pair exchange:
1. rss 10,4 (01/01) with the rss1,14 (08/03)
2. rss 10,3 (12/01) with the rss1,13 (06/03)
3. rss 10,2 (11/01) with the rss1,12 (05/03)
4. rss 3,5 (13/02) with the rss1,10 (03/03)

the procedure is the following:
1. first ungroup the 2 disk in a pair one by one
2. then physicaly reshuffle it
take care of the rotation of the disk

after the unplug - wait approximately 30 seconds for the disk rotation to be stopped

and after the plug wait approximately 1 minute for the disk initialization

at the end do another .xml report and check the results pls

the pain is one part of the reality