Disk Enclosures
1754014 Members
4900 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error message on front panel of autoraid 12H "SYSTEM WARNING`.DATA UNAVAILABLE"

Tonya Underwood
Regular Advisor

Re: Error message on front panel of autoraid 12H "SYSTEM WARNING`.DATA UNAVAILABLE"

*** "Data Unavailable" means that both a block of data and the redundancy for that block of the data are not readable.

I assume that what probably happened is that one other drive had a hot plug event at the same time that A1 FAILED. The good news is that you normally only have one bad block after this sort of failure. I wish I could see the logprint. If you care to post it please do. I realize that this procedure is being posted after you have probably solved your issue. But, hopefully making it available to ITRC searchers will help another in the future.

I have outlined the steps below... I have used it successfully many times. MOST times the bad block is in free space... sometimes not...

So.... here is the procedure...

It is attached... it appears to be too lengthy for simple posting...

Charbel Bou-eid
Advisor

Hi Tonya,

Many thanks to your reply.
Actually it isn't late as I still did not resolve the issue because the customer is using his AutoRaid 24/24 and he is not experiencing any problem but it is good at the end of the day to "remove" this annoying message.

I went thru your file and find it very interesting, but I have to tell you that the logprint is giving me an error message "logs contains bad content" or something like that, and although I have HP62 I still cannot see the affected LUN with the Sense Code (as described in one of the hp.com web pages)!!! I can't find the reason behind it.
Also, I have run "arraylog -d Ax/Bx" and haven't find any bad sector in the "growing defect list" of all 12 HDDs.

Anyway, the customer has decided to reformat the AutoRaid, not because of this message but because he wants to recreate his Oracle database in a more professional way and import the data files. But if I can discover the affected LUN with HP62, I can then dd'it and replace the affected sector/file.

Apprecaite if you can tell me exactly how I can use HP62 to dicover the affected LUN.

Thanks again,
Charbel
Tonya Underwood
Regular Advisor

If your logprint shows some "Bad Content" message, I would say that the firmware may not tell you the affected LUN. It would normally be in your logprint output. I'd be curious to see this "Bad Content" entry if you get some time to post that. Maybe run:
logprint > /tmp/logprint.out
and post? Also, if this AutoRAID is shared, the servers may also share logging (through a multi-initiator lock). This would mean you would need to run logprint from both servers to get complete logs.

As far as finding that LUN, I would say just dd each LUN until you find that bad block... If the customer is OK with reformatting the Array I would say go for it. It is certainly easier than finding and overwriting the bad block. However, I would keep this procedure for a later time "just in case". You may need it again!

Thanks,
Tonya Underwood