New Discussion юеВ

Re: Estimate time for disk expansion...

SOLVED
Go to solution
edmund_6
Advisor

Cheers Steven...

Ive just been onsite and ive started the Logical drive expansion in acu.It gave me an option of how much i want to extend it by and it gave me a maximum limit which i selected.so its in progress..From responses on other threads as well..it should take about and hr or so right ?.
So once thats done ..ill have an outage and then restart into safemode..an use diskpart to add this space..right ?

cheers to those that have contributed..

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You do NOT need an outage. Diskpart works ON ThE fLy!

It is suggested that you have minimul disk activity, but you do not need safemode.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Actually.. the whole process should not need an outage. You should ge able to get from A to Z while the server is online and working the WHOLE time.

Sometimes Windows does freak out though requiring a reboot, but thats expected of Windows. ;o)

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
edmund_6
Advisor

Hey Steven..

U thought u had heard the last of me..
Well just thought I'l let you know ive run the extend logical drive via acu and i thought this part should only take an hr or so.Well it been 5 hours and its only on 36%.
Ive got a friend who is doing exactly the same procedure as me and it took him about 4 days for the logical drive to extend...
Is this part gong to be just as long as the extending the array which took me 5 days ?
mmmm..lets hope not... cause i did promise this client this part should be done soon..

cheers

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Have you set the expand priority to high?

5hours = 36%

so theoretically..

10 hours = 72%
15 hours = 108%

I have never experienced a logical drive expansion take that long, but I guess it could be possible.

I can almost guarantee that the diskpart step should only be able 10 seconds and even though the process is NOT data disruptive, I do hope you have a backup of the data. You should ALWAYS have a backup.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
edmund_6
Advisor

Hi Steven

Its monday mornig and ive just checked my disk expansion and it reached 100% in extending the logical drive.It now has the bewlo message in the status screen...

# 785 Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on logical drive 1 ( RAID 5 in array A). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve

when i go to disk manager, i can see the available space now behind my logical drive...
Can i just used diskpart now or do i have to wait for the above initialization thingy to finish..Ive come this far and its takedn 10 days..i wouldnt want to screw it up by not finishing right..

cheers
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You should be good to go. The background partiy init is just a check to make sure things are ok. Smart Arrays do that occasionally, especially after you futz with a logical drive.

It usually does not kick off until AFTER you touch the space, so I think the best thing to do is use diskpart, which should kick off the BPI.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
edmund_6
Advisor

All done..thanks heaps....thanks steven for the prompt replies..much appreciated..
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

ANytime.
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE