1748011 Members
3763 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Eva 5000 - Controller Diagnostic Failure, Battery cache errors

xp24kadmin
Advisor

Eva 5000 - Controller Diagnostic Failure, Battery cache errors

We had a power outage in our server room, which lasted 3 hours. All of our equipment, including our eva 5000, shut down hard (ups only has power for 45-60 mins).

After coming back up, our EVA now has controller A with a soft diagnostic failure for operational state. When I click on enclosure, the cache battery system operational state shows as failed. Battery 1 module AND battery 2 module show as NO for installed, and op state shows Attention.

The array is not under support. It IS however in production with critical systems. Is it worth rebooting the controller , or is this a hardware failure of the battery cache?
2 REPLIES 2
xp24kadmin
Advisor

Re: Eva 5000 - Controller Diagnostic Failure, Battery cache errors

Events in the Controller Log:

HSV110 controller operation was terminated due to an unrecoverable event detected by either software or hardware or due to an action initiated via the Storage System Management Interface.
Corrective action code: 03

A soft cache memory ECC error or indication of low battery voltage was detected during the execution of this HSV110 controller's on-board diagnostics.
Corrective action code: 33

The HSV110 controller identified in the handle field needs attention.
Corrective action code: b9
Rick vonR
Advisor

Re: Eva 5000 - Controller Diagnostic Failure, Battery cache errors

How did the EVA come back up after power was restored? Did it come up gracefully or did it just come up with no intervention?
I say this because when you power on an EVA you should have the controllers powered off. Wait until all of the disks are up and the canisters (disk shelves) have correctly identified themselves. Then you power on the controllers.
If the controllers come up and the disks and canisters have not finished coming up then it will go into error mode.

If you can, I would suggest powering down the array from CV, then turn off the controllers with the switches in the back of the controllers. Then turn on the power to the drives and wait for everything to stabilize, then turn the controllers with the switches on the back of the controllers.

You may even get away with just powering off the controllers and then powering them back on but the effect would be the same as if you did my first suggestion.