4859 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Eva4000

pr00cent
Occasional Contributor

Eva4000

Hello to everybody.

Our client has EVA 4000 with the fallowing configuration (2 Controllers and 4 Disk shelves’).

The Storage is not in production now, the use it not for critical data.

The 2 shelves are enough for them for this moment. The question is “How to remove 2 shelves from the storage?”

Is not a problem to remove physically these shelves and to make a new interconnection of remaining shelves with controller.

The problem is “Do will start the storage w/o out these shelves “?

As I know the lun0 (default lun) contain the OS of storage and this lun0 is stripping on all the disks, so when we remove 2 shelves how the storage will react?

Please advise me how to make this.

Thank you in advance

Br.,

Andrei

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Eva4000

Maybe the best solution would be to remove the shelfs, uninitialize the array and initialize it again. All data will be lost, but this is not a problem, right?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pr00cent
Occasional Contributor

So as far I understand, i will need to shutdown the storage, remove physically the shelves and turn on the storage  and to initialized it again, or I need to remove the disks from disk groups ,and after this to shutdown the storage and to remove the shelves ?

Br.,

Andrei.

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,  If you are intending to connect those shelves / disks to another EVA or even re-use the disks as spares it would be best to uninitialise the EVA before removing the shelves as you will have at least six quorum disks in there and if added to an EVA while it is powered down their config will cause issues on boot up.  Also some controller code levels get upset if you lose half your disks then try to uninitialise. this ensures there is no config left on the removed parts and allows a nice clean setup of the remaining two shelf EVA.

Hello.

I want to concretize the following, so I need to uninitialized the EVA, to shut down the storage and to initialize it again?

Will Eva lose all licenses that are active now? 

Br.,

Andrei.

SKKU
Frequent Visitor

As advised before, it is recommended to uninitialize the EVA before removing the drive shelves. Uninitializing and initializing the EVA clears the storage system meta data on the member disk drives, which means the license information stored in the meta data is removed. However, the license information is also saved in the Command View server. Therefore, the same will be available still as long as the EVA is initialized with the same WWN for which the license were orginally generated for.