Disk Enclosures
1753311 Members
6506 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event ID 34 related to Array Accelerator?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Event ID 34 related to Array Accelerator?

When installing a Windows 2000 domain controller, the event log shows ID 34: "The driver disabled the write cache on device....". Does this write cache mean the array accelerator? I have a discussion regarding this with some colleagues. I cannot imagine that Windows 2000 will disable the battery backed cache of a Smart Array Controller.

Can anybody clear up this issue?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You get Event ID 34 in Windows 2000 which states: The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 with the Smart 5300.
I take it that is the controller you have. There is no damage done to the drives or the controller from this event. The only symptoms are the event id and the option to select the write cache on the hard drive properties. This is not a problem for the drives or the controller. This does not affect any data. The hard drives with the Compaq firmware has the write cache option disabled. Even thought the field shows enabled it cannot affect the drives. This is a firmware issue with the 5300 controller and I believe Compaq is working on this and it may be released with smart start 5.0 coming February
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Right again Orion_Quest...