1748250 Members
3518 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expand existing RAID5 with additional Drive

David Keusen
Occasional Contributor

Expand existing RAID5 with additional Drive

I have to expand the capacity on a existing Raid5 in a ML370. The actual configuration is as follow :
Smartarray contr. 128293-B21, think this a internal RAID controller and 3x9.1 GB as one logical Drive

How can I expand the capacity on the existing Raid 5 with this additional 9.1 GB Drive that i have this additional capacity available. Have never done this on a ML370 before.

Is it possible to do that without data loss as well? Thanks a lot for the advice!
5 REPLIES 5
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: Expand existing RAID5 with additional Drive

Hi,

This is possible. You can do this with ACU.
Add the drives to the system. start ACU. You get a message that new drives have been found, click next. Choose "expand an existing array", click next. Choose extend an existing logical drive, click next. You get an overview of your new situation. Save configuration. Done........
Needless to say to make a backup before...

Success Leon
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Yes, it possible.
Like leon says, you must do with ACU tool.
When you finish with ACU its possible that operating system need some time to see the new space.
David Keusen
Occasional Contributor

Leon
Many thanks for your answer. It sounds realy simple, but on this Server is Novell 3.12 running. Is a ACU NLM available?

or do i have to expand the Raid with the smart start cd and how do i get it, or could i use another utility?

Many thanks in advance
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You have to use the smartstart cd to do this.

Gr. Leon
David Keusen
Occasional Contributor

Hi to all

Many thanks for your help. Everything worked fine and system is running well.

Many thanks

David