New Discussion юеВ

Expandig MSA1000 Array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aimbere_1
Super Advisor

Expandig MSA1000 Array

Hi,

I added 1 more disk on my storage, but I getting the following message when I try to expand the array.

"
An even number of physical drives is required for this array because it has one or more logical drives with a fault tolerance of RAID 1+0.
However you can migrate all RAID 1+0 logical drives on this array to RAID 6
"

My configuration:
All Disks are 146gb

Logical Drive 1: 300gb, RAID 6
Logical Drive 2: 195gb, RAID 1+0
Logical Drive 3: 175g, RAID 5
Unused Space: 130gb

1 Hot Spare Disk

1 New Added Disk

----------------

What's the explanition for this message?

Thanks,
Aimber├к
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Expandig MSA1000 Array

The error message looks clear enough to me...

You have a RAID 1+0 logical drive, which must consist of an even number of drives.

Cheers,

Rob
Aimbere_1
Super Advisor

Well Rob,

The message is clear, but what I want to know is:

I don't know what is the rule for that count of disks, so when I need to put more disks, I need to know how many I will need.

Do you know how it works?

Thanks

Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Even number of disks mean that you have to always add drives in pairs to RAID 1+0 array, 1 pair (2 drives) 2 pairs (4 drives) etc...
Aimbere_1
Super Advisor

Ok Marek,

But this happens only when I use RAID 1+0 or have another configuration scenario that happen this situation?

Thanks
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Aimber├Г┬к

yes the contoller makes certain assumptions based on the array and the existing logical drives. e.g. if you create an array with only two physical drives, it will let you create logical drives in RAID1 only. Then, when you expand such an array with *one* disk it suggests that it will migrate all your RAID1 drives to RAID5 because this is the only reasonable change that you could make use of that disk in that array (if you added *two* disks you could stay at RAID1, or migrate to RAID5 or RAID6).

Regards
Bernhard
Aimbere_1
Super Advisor

Closed.

Thanks everybody!