Disk Enclosures
1753796 Members
6866 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding Array with ACU. Now what? (OS WS2003)

Adam Skopek
Occasional Advisor

Expanding Array with ACU. Now what? (OS WS2003)

I have done expandig my array RAID 5 using ACU and now I can see on sreen unallocated space of Disk 0 (Basic Disk). I don┬┤t know why my logical disks aren┬┤t signed as NTFS. I need to extend logical disk D:/ (data). Do I have to convert basic disk to dynamic before extending? Or how can I do this ask wthout data loss? Please see attachment. Thaks
11 REPLIES 11
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

After expanding array (from ACU) you have to extend logical volume (also from ACU).
From Windows, in Disk Manager you can see than free space after your current volume.
You can extend it (without loosing your data) using diskpart, but prefered is to do backup first :)).
If it is not necessary, do not convert you basic partition.
regards,
Andrzej
Adam Skopek
Occasional Advisor

Situatoin in DiskManager MSWS2003:
-DISK 0----------------------------------
C:/ System 12GB (primary)
D:/ Data 56GB (logical in extended)
UNALLOCATED 136GB(new space)
-----------------------------------------
I need to extend D:/...

OK. In Disk Manager I can├В┬┤t do anithing. Even I can├В┬┤t view properities of any logical volume. Appear message box with something like: Operatoin was aborted, internal error. So, in Disk Manager I suppose that extending my logical disk D:/ is imposibl
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

You have to extend logical disk from array controller level. When you configered disk, you first create array and then logical disk (both on array controllr level). Now, after expanding array, you must also extend logical disk, and than expand volume (using diskpart) on os level. Read all requirement regarding diskpart.exe
regards,
Andrzej
Adam Skopek
Occasional Advisor

I agree with you. I already have logical disk extended in ACU because I have one array with one logical disk (space: 208374 GB, RAID 5). This configuration I can see in web based ACU. For this logical drive in task menu I have only Migrate and Delete. So I think that in ACU there is nothig to set up.
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Are different options when you click on your created "array", and different when you click on "logical disk". Check this
regards,
Andrzej
Adam Skopek
Occasional Advisor

When I click in ACU on "array" I can Delete. When I click on my logical drive I can Migrate or Delete. These are all of option to use.
Anyway, I run DISKPART.EXE, type list volume to display the existing volumes on the computer. Surprise! My disk is no present. Only CDROM...

Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Did you extend array and can you see free space to create new logical disk?
Adam Skopek
Occasional Advisor

No, in ACU I have only one array with only one logical disk (maximum of space). There is no any free space. But Disk Manager recognize unallocated space...
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

If I well understand:
"ACU I have only one array with only one logical disk (maximum of space). There is no any free space. But Disk Manager recognize unallocated space"
you extend array as well as logical disk (only this explain why you don't have free space to expand array and you can see unallocated space in Disk Manager). If you can see such space directly after your first created volume(s), you can now use diskpart.
I expand via this tool basic and dynamic partitions, but I don't know what with extended volume -> read diskpart notices.
regards,
Andrzej