1753707 Members
5200 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding Logical Drive % Complete Indicator

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Expanding Logical Drive % Complete Indicator

We have an external drive enclosure that had 8 drives in it. We added another drive, same size and type and expanded the logical drive using AC 2.40B. When it was done the wizard recognized the new drive and everything appeared very easy.

The array is about 400GB and it has been expanding for about a day now. What concerns me is the % indicator (which I assume is % completed) keeps getting to about 5% and then going back to 0% again. I thought when a change was made to the data it might re start itself so I stopped SOL 7.0 and PCAnywhere that were running. It still has two network cards active and is on the network....

Is the % indicator misleading or is the ACU in an endless loop because of a problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Not sure on this one. Might try updating to ACU 2.50 or later and start that up. There may be a problem or not... Not sure what OS you have involved, so make sure you get the right one.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

OS is Win2000. It seemed to get past the % indicator and now the main screen says :Flashing drive tray LEDS help locate your drives" and the Information screen says "background parity inializing".

Is this OK? Is it progressing as it should? Since we're talking about 400GB I know it will take a while but I would like to know we're on the right track.

Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Can we please get a verified, researched response to this question...?

We still have the same message after a week and still would like to know if it's normal, hopefully we haven't just been wasting time. Highly suggest more informative messages in ACU. The user needs to know some sort of status when the process is going to take a week + to complete...

Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Don't have and answer but do have a question. Is it a basic or dynamic disk? Have a similar situation with SQL 7 running on W2k, a 3200 array controller, 1 channel is the SO and SQL program the other is the SQL Data. I need to extend the data array. Per the Micro soft documentation you cannot extend a basic disk or a dynamic disk if you converted it from basic. So I'm trying to decide what to do with my basic disks.
I believe that if I add a new disk to the array I will just be creating unused space and will not be able to get W2K to recognize it as anything other than a new logical drive. Is this correct or do microsofts limitations on basic disks pertain only to arrays created with the SO not the array controller?