108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding an array in a DL380 with a Smart Array 5300 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ted Henley
Occasional Contributor

Expanding an array in a DL380 with a Smart Array 5300 controller

I am looking for some documentation on how to expand an array in a DL380 with a Smart Array 5300 controller. I currently have a RAID5 with an online spare (total of 4 drives). I would like to make that 6 drives. I would prefer that the current logical drive gets expanded - though I am open to other configs. The server is a Windows 2003 SP1. There is data on the drives that I cannot loose. Finally, in Windows, the drive is split into a system and a data drive. I believe if the logical drive is expanded that I can expand the data drive within Windows to add that space.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
2 REPLIES 2
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Expanding an array in a DL380 with a Smart Array 5300 controller

Hi Ted- it is fairly straight forward. just be sure to do it off hours and from inside the ACU set "expand Priority = High" or it will take a long time. depending on how much you are expanding depends on how long it takes to complete.
You'll want to be sure all FW and agents are updated to current levels beofre you begin. some bugs were in earler versions.

you will need to insert drive and then open up ACU. click on Express config wizard from inside ACU. it will ask you what you want to do with it. expand. then say ok. select drive you want to expand. you will see the lone drive u just added. select it and hit next. click on the diskette symbol to save changes. exit acu. all drives should be blinking. when they are done blinking expand is complete.
thanks and feel free to assign points.
--Andy
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Expanding an array in a DL380 with a Smart Array 5300 controller

Ted:

One thing you need to keep in mind is that you may need to have some 3rd Party utility in order to extend your partition(s) within Windows.

In the ACU, you can extend the logical drive(s), but that only allows Windows to "see" the extra space. You have to instruct windows on how to "use" the extra space.

Look here for another posting about this similar subject...

" http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1012183 "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)