1745857 Members
4478 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding an oracle Clusterd LUN on EVA4100

GILLI_1
Advisor

Expanding an oracle Clusterd LUN on EVA4100

I have an EVA4100 and need to GROW a LUN that is presented to a MS Windwos 2003 2 node Server cluster running MSCS, the LUN is for Oracle and Failsafe is running, I tried to do this before and had problems, can anyone tell me how to do this in this setup, I have expanded lun's before from this EVA for clustered nodes with no issues.....
5 REPLIES 5
MAH_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Gilli..From EVA just extend the size.
Then go to winodws cmd.
Type Diskpart. Selcet the volume you want to extend .
Then type extend.This is the normal method for extending the Basic disk...
Also pls take the backup of the database ....
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I'll just add - stop Oracle on server during extending lun, it works realy great, did many times, no problem... :)

Jan
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Yes. It is a simple activity which is completely online. It is good to have a backup and less IO as recommanded.

Below are the steps to do the extending the voulme.

Suppose the volume to be extended is like F drive, then follow the below commands to extend the volume from the OS side.

This is for Basic Disk and i am pretty sure that MSCS with 2003 use Basic Disk only. So you can use this to achieve the requirement.

1. Open cmd (command prompt)
2. run diskpart. then you will get a prompt DISKPART>)
3. on that promnt type "select volume F" and press enter
4. It will show that volume X is selected
5. then type command "extend" (this will extend the full remaining space to the existing volume)
GILLI_1
Advisor

thanks everyone, I have done the expansion using DISKPART but the DBA and I felst it prudent to shutdown the ORACLE DB's first, I do think we could have done this with them up though.
GILLI_1
Advisor

thanks all