New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding raid 1+0

SOLVED
Go to solution
fawrell
Advisor

Expanding raid 1+0

Hey.

I'm going to expand raid 1+0 array with 6x 146GB. The array is on Smart Array 6400 controller and I want add 2 new 146GB disks to the array. Because it is very important server and very important array and because it seems to be a long operation I want to be sure that the disks and the controller (battery on it and etc.) is ok. Can someone more experienced pls take look at the ADU log and say if its all ok? I'm going to expand Logical drive 1 on SA 6400. It contains disks at port 1 id 0-2 and port 2 id 0-2. The new drives are at port 1 id 5 and port 2 id 5.

Tnx for your time.
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, checked your ADU report.

There has been some Command Timeout on all disks 34 days ago, any idea of what happened then?

Firmware on the controller is 2.58, not bad, but it could be updated to 2.84 (A).

No internal errors on any of the disks.
fawrell
Advisor

Tnx for answer.

Hmm 34 days ago we were doing backup from live CD so we restarted the server 2 times. So the timeouts could happend then.

Can I ask you one more thing? The disk at port 2 id 5 is new but it has some non zero smart attributes like test 2,3,4, seeks and re-mapped. It is normal to see those attributes with non zero values on new disks?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

How do you define "new", disks 1-5 and 2-5 have been running for 51483 minutes (36 days). SCSI disk drives do some surface scan periodically and can find some bad sectors (there are 1088 reserved sectors per disk to replace the ones that go bad).
fawrell
Advisor

The new disks are 1-5 and 2-5. I checked ADU report, where the disks have 17h from factory serv. time and 15h since power servis time. And the 2-5 has exact same from factory and since power values of the test 2,3,4, seeks and re-mapped smart attributes in the 36 days old report and in the 17h old report. Because of this I'm thinking that the disk came with those values from factory. Are those attributes somehow important when are you looking at health of the disk or not?

I will take a look if I didn't make a report right after I insered the disks.