SOLVED
Go to solution
GordonSc
Occasional Advisor

Extend an Array safely...

Hi

Config:
HP ML310 G3 server - MS SBS 2003.
Array 1 (RAID 1) - 2x 80GB HDD's (C: drive), Basic Windows disk.
Array 2 (RAID 1) - 2x 160GB HDDS's (E: drive), Basic Windows disk.
PCI 2610SA array controller

Array 2 were originally 2x 80GB HDD's as well which I upgraded to 2X 160GB HDD's through the proper procedure regarding rebuilds etc.
How do I extend the 80GB Array 2 to 160GB now? Can I use ACU (Array Configuration Utility) from my bootable SmartStart ver.8 CD? Do you advise that I do the firmware first for this controller as well? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Extend an Array safely...

hi

check my first answer and my attached file

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1223445

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
GordonSc
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, let me get this straight...I need to convert both these volumes in Windows Disk Mgmt. from basic to dynamic first? Will Windows SBS 2003 see a Logical drive then or willI still need to use HP ACU?
GordonSc
Occasional Advisor

Apologies, I meant will Windows SBS 2003 see a 160GB Logical drive after converting from a basic to dynamic Windows disk?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

sorry now that I see what I linked I see my mistake that was for W2000 don't worry about W2003 just follow the normal procedure the file is attached

and update your firmware controller

regards
GordonSc
Occasional Advisor

File attached you mentioned? I take it that the extending will be done through Windows disk mgmt. then... The reason why I mention booting to HP ACU on the HP Smartstart is that as far as I can see is that this server was not loaded originally with a SmartStart CD. I loaded ACU in windows recently (the little 5mb or so app. downloadable from HP) and it did not detect any controllers? Maybe it needs a firmware update for that. I have made the bootable HP SmartStart Firmware ver.8 CD as well for this task.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm by the way

PCI 2610SA array controller? where did you take this?

I think the reason why you don't see your controller is because your controller is not a smart array which are the only ones supported by that application....

but I see "Array 2 were originally 2x 80GB HDD's as well which I upgraded to 2X 160GB HDD's through the proper procedure regarding rebuilds etc."

you already updated the HDDs(in another ocassion) or Am I wrong?

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

so right now if you want to update your HDDs again you need to followed your previous procedure

" Array 2 were originally 2x 80GB HDD's as well which I upgraded to 2X 160GB HDD's through the proper procedure regarding rebuilds etc. "

because ACU can not be used sorry I was thinking you had a smart array controller

regards
GordonSc
Occasional Advisor

Yep, that is correct. The server had 2x 80GB SATA as D: which is running out of space. We sold the customer 2x 160GB to upgrade D: I took 1x 160GB and replaced an 80GB and waited for it to complete the rebuild. I followed the same step for the second 80GB SATA HDD. Obviously after this process the array will still be 80GB's.On bootup you can enter the Array controller through CTRL+A but there is no option to extend. You might be correct then that it is not an Smart Array controller. I'll need to bootup with my SmartStart CD then and see what I can do...after I have done backups offcourse. I'll do firmware first. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I hope that I won't need to resort to 3rd party software. What about Windows Diskpart?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well even updating firmware you wont see that controller using even Smartstart

yes you can use diskpart to extend the size

I know you can not extend your C: using diskpart but there some other SW that lets you do that I have not tested yet

regards