New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extend logical on msa1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Extend logical on msa1000

Hi all,

My client ask me to extend their msa1000.Existing configuration is 1 array devide to 5 logical drive and each logical is dedicated to 1 server by FC SAN switch. Now they want to extend only one logical drive to be larger by attaching msa30 to the msa1000. Can it work and how it to be done ? thank you all.

Yayat
6 REPLIES 6
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Hi Yayat,

Sounds reasonable to me.

You will need to expand the whole array with the additional storage added by the MSA30, then you should be able to expand the individual LUN in question.

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

The MSA1000 can support 2 additional MSA30's attached on the backend for an addition 28 disks to be used in an array or arrays.

You will need to schedule some downtime as I think the MSA requires a reboot in order to connect the msa30 and then find the drives.

1. Shutdown the systems
2. Connect the new shelf
3. Put drives into shelf
4. Turn on MSA30 shelf and wait 2 minutes
5. Turn on MSA1000 and wait for boot up
6. Turn on hosts.

After this, you should be able to run the ACU on one of the attached systems and "expand" the array with the additional drives. Afterwards, you can "extend" any particular logical drive.

What OS are you running on the node that needs the bigger LUN?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Dear all,

Thanks guys for the guidance. I think it will be better if I survey on my client site first to know more about existing configuration. Then I will nounce to you to see what should do next.

Yayat
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Dear all,

Somesay that MSA1000 can not be expanded online so it has to be backed up, recreate array include new additional drive in MSA30 then recreate all logical drive and then restore entire data. Is that to be that hard work ?
Thanks

Yayat

John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Yayat,
Yes, you can expand and extend while online. Please make sure your expand priority level is set to min. medium.

Expanding is adding drives to a disk array.
Extending is increasing the size of a LUN.

If you plan to Expand the array, we have to reposition your LUNs across the new drives. The available drive space will be available once the expand completes. Then you can extend any LUN.

Always have a fresh backup.

Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Dear all,

How long it will take time to complete the expand array and extend Lun ? The existing configuration is raid 1+0 (72Gb x 14), LUN which will be extended is 150 Gig and MSA30 (72Gb x 14)will be dedicated to extend these 150 Gig so the volume will be 650 Gb.

Regard,
Yayat