1748248 Members
3654 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extending Array size - Part 2

Eric Shupe
Occasional Contributor

Extending Array size - Part 2

In order to add the new drives to my array I know I have to basically kill the array and recreate it with the new drives. Currently I have 1 Volume group and 1 Logival volume on there. Should I delete both of them in sam before I recreate the array?? Also when I recreate them do they have to be exactly the same as they were before for the data to go back on?? Thanks for any help you can give.
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Extending Array size - Part 2

Hello,

You can go vgextend to the new drives and lvextend and extendfs to the new size you want. No need to delete the volume group or logical volume!

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello (again),

Ok you are using RAID on a 4Si, so what I told you is not possible...

You have to backup your logical volume, remove it and the VG from LVM, recreate your RAID 5, recreate volume group and logical volume to the desired size, then restore data.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

If there is physical space in your raid box you can just add in the new disk create a new LUN and then use standard LVM commands to create a new volume group/logical volume - bear in mind why you are doing it - increase capacity, or improved performance or for hot spare capacity.
1) insert new disk 2) if auto include is set then it is automatically added to pool of available space otherwise you will have to manually include it.

If you want to recreate the Array, you don't have to delete the volume group before hand, when you destroy the LUN all the data is gone and the space is returned to the pool. The LUN doesn't have to be the same size when you recreate it but the filesystem will need to be big enough to take the data back on.
Eric Shupe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. So I should remove everything relating to VG02 from LVM and then recreate it after the array is reconfigured? When I re-setup VG02 it just has to be big enough to hold the data that is going to be put back there, it doesn't have to be the same as it was before right?
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

Yes is the answer to both questions. If you've used all the space then you'll need to delete and recreate. The LUN has to be big enough to house the logical volume, which in turn has to be big enough to house the filesystem which in turn has to be big enough to house your data.