108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extending/Expanding a current Raid 5 in windows 2K

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dale Marino
Occasional Contributor

Extending/Expanding a current Raid 5 in windows 2K

I currently have 4 systems, proliant ML530 with 8 drives at 72 gig. I want to add an additional 4 drives to each system. I used the compaq/hp tools and was able to add the drives and windows sees them as unalocated space. Do I set these up as a primary partition or what before adding them into my existing array/volume? I was given a set of instructions from HP but it only talks of NT 4 and older version of tools, V5.5, I am using 6.4. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
ML Chin
Occasional Advisor

I believe that tool that you are referring to targets only NT4 OS.

The HP instructions (HP server training) for Win2K are to convert the disk to dynamic and extend the disk via the OS. You can click on the unallocated space and the partition that you want to join and extend.

You could try Partition Magic if you do not want to use the OS.
Andrew_168
Regular Advisor
Solution

Try looking for Diskpart on the web, or Windows resource kit, this will allow you to extend the disks, without the need to make them dynamic. Be careful, its about as user friendly as a Doberman with toothache.
Dale Marino
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the input, as for converting to Dynamic, when trying to expand, you get a message stating that you can not expand this volume because the origianl format was a basic disk and is not supported, but thank you. As for the Diskpart, this sounds more like it. I will give it shot, it looks like it will resolve my problem..

Thank you both..