Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending partition

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Extending partition

Hi All, can i know if diskpart works on basic disk? and what are the chances of a successful extension on a disk?
5 REPLIES
Prokopets
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Extending partition

Microsoft sells it "without any warranty" (c) and it's difficult to talk about probability of success. I made the extension with diskpart several times, and it worked good, but it's a good idea to make a backup before extending.
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Hi, thanks for the input, i actually have a MSA 500 on Proliant 380 G4 running W2K3 standard server (cluster), been 3 years i guess. does diskpart works the same on any application and disk type (basic or dynamic)?
Patrick Pletscher
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I did extensions of basic disks in Microsoft Clusters many times, and it always worked very well. I would recommand as well to have a valid backup and do the expand during a time, where you don't have to many I/O's, or even during a maintenance window.
As far as I know, only basic disks are supported in a cluster environment.
Patrick Pletscher
Occasional Visitor

regarding your question about the application. The extension of a disk will have no impact on the application, as it will not recognize it.
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Thank you very much :) well i just missed my august maintenance window, september seems like a good time to do it, thank you again, really appreciate it. :D