4340 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FATA Drives as Default Diskgroup on EVA

Armin Norouzi
Frequent Advisor

FATA Drives as Default Diskgroup on EVA

Hi,
I know that HP recommends FC drives for default DG. I have an EVA4400 with only 10 FATA drives and it would be used for archiving purposes only. Will the current configuration work well for me or should I buy 8 additional FC drives for default DG?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Default disk group is just the name for the first disk group created when you intialize the EVA. The type and number of disks depends on how many I/Os and MB/s you expect to get from the EVA.

If you're going to do backups (sequential writes) to that EVA, the FATA drives will do well, 80 MB/s writting on a RAID 5.

You need 15K FC drives if you're going to do random reads or writes.
Armin Norouzi
Frequent Advisor

Thanks vcespon,
As far as I know, default disk group also stores some metadata (like block tracking info). Now I wonder using FATA drives as default disk group may cause performance impact on the whole EVA. Can you help me?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this is stored on the quorum disks. If you add disk groups, one quorum disk of five will be transfered to the new diskgroup. I don't think that this is a big performance impact.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It should not be a big performance impact if you have a static EVA, but I've once worked on a box with CA and an additional FATAl diskgroup. I have not done any real timings, but on that system I got the impression that --configuration-- changes (e.g. DRG/vDisk add or remove) were processed much slower and one of the FATAl disks was flickering like crazy.