New Discussion юеВ

FC Connectivity for Continuous Acess XP 10000 and XP 128

SOLVED
Go to solution
farid S
Frequent Advisor

FC Connectivity for Continuous Acess XP 10000 and XP 128

Hello,

I want to use CA to mirror volumes/LUNs from an XP 10000 to an XP 128. the 2 arrays are on the same location.
How should I connect the 2 arrays for CA? (is it mandatory to use ESCON...can I use normal FC?)
any one has a document with detailed specs and schematics?

many thanks,
Farid.
7 REPLIES 7
Aeroplane
Occasional Advisor

Re: FC Connectivity for Continuous Acess XP 10000 and XP 128

I dont think ESCON is a req. You can convert any of the FC port on array to work as MCU and RCU (main and remote disk array).

You should be able to get some doc on docs.hp.com or talk to ur sales guy.
farid S
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your confirmation.
As Far as understand: the MCU port(Initiator) need to be dedicated (not shared with any host access), but the RCU (Target)ones could be shared with host access. is this true?

My second question is about the zoning on the switch: should I use port zoning? is it a requirement?

Thanks,
Farid.
Aeroplane
Occasional Advisor

- I guess It can be shared but for sure HP doesnt suggest doing that.

- Dont know if there is any such req but it is always better to use WWN zoning.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> s it mandatory to use ESCON...can I use normal FC?)

No, you can use FC.

>>> As Far as understand: the MCU port(Initiator) need to be dedicated (not shared with any host access), but the RCU (Target)ones could be shared with host access. is this true?

Yes, you need an MCU and asociated RCU port, if you want to perform takeover, you need an MCU and one RCU port on each storage.

The RCU should not be shared for host access, even if possible. But I think you cannot.

>>> My second question is about the zoning on the switch: should I use port zoning? is it a requirement?

Yes, you should use port (hard) zoning.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
farid S
Frequent Advisor

Ivan, by the takeover point, you mean that:
* If I need to do copy only (from source "src" xp to destination "dst" one), I need one MCU dedicated port on the SRC, and one RCU Port on the DST.

*But, If I need also to do restore (from dst to src), I need another couple of ports (One Mcu on the dst and one Rcu on src)

is that what you mean?

Many thanks,
Farid.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

>> is that what you mean?

Yes. And remember that once you change a port for example, to MCU or RCU, the ports are changed in pairs, so you will have two MCU and two RCU ports on each storage.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
farid S
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all for your help.
In my quest to solve my problem, I've this feeling of insecurity, which is mainly caused by the poorly written CA manuals.

I found ITRC forum more helpful.