Disk Enclosures
1753735 Members
4396 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FC10 performance specs - what are they?

Jim Carter_1
Advisor

FC10 performance specs - what are they?

I've searched the archives and haven't found a document that specifically states what I should expect to see out of an FC10 array. Does anyone have this information?
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

This is just a bunch of disks (JBOD). Thus simply query your disks in there (in hpux with diskinfo, to get their ST..... inquiry strings) and then go to http://www.seagate.com and search for them to see disk's sheets
Eugeny
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as Eugeny said with a JOBD like the FC10 you're pretty much dependent on the performance of the single disks.

If you seriously consider using FC10s you should

a) balance primary/alternate LVM PV links across the two LCCs (assuming you have two HBAs accessing the FC10(s).

b) (more important) consider LVM "extent-based" striping. There you hit some LVM restrictions. If you go down to a physical extent size = 1MB, you can only use 3x2 18GB disks (the times 2 assumes you do LVM mirroring) in one VG. If you have 36GB disks you would have to use 2MB extent size for the VG, else you hit the max # of extents per vg limit (65636).

Note: for extent-based striping and mirroring you need to use "PVG-strict" allocation.

Regards,
Bernhard
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Performance could also depend on what you connect it to:

- fibre channel card?
- fibre channel switch?

These items do have some thruput specs, if you know which one you will be using.
Jim Carter_1
Advisor

I understand these are JBODS, but they can be used as an array with software RAID. When in that mode, and statically balanced across both LCCs, what throughput would you expect to see out of this storage system? The installation manual give physical data but no bandwidth, either maximum or burst. I know that when all 10 drives are bursting, you will exceed the capacity of the LCCs because they are only 1Gbit. With that in mind, does anyone have any data other than my measured 400Mbit/second values?
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me