1752800 Members
5785 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FCIP (MPX110) setup--WWN zoning

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Almost positive they show up as ISL's. (An E-Port)

1. If you want your "local" Command View server to be able to "see" and "manage" the remote EVA, then yes... you absolutely need to create a zone with those devices.

2. Are the switches merging at all? Can you attach the output for the commands..

zoneshow
fabricshow
switchshow
version

..from your SAN Switches

3. Don't worry about "continual" question asking... Though I don't like speaking for others, I think that everyone here in itrc agrees that you should continue until your problems are solved. I certainly will not stop helping where I can.

4. The last time I implemented 2 FCiP Gateways, I did not have to create a zone for them to work, they just worked once my FC ports were matched up with my GbE ports.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Steven,

I've attached a word doc that shows the information you asked for. I only showed the information from one switch on each EVA (remote and local), just so there wasn't a ton of information. In my zoning for the two EVA's I didn't zone every single FP as right now I'm simply trying to test. So the zones include two FP's from the EVA that's local to that switch and one FP from the remote EVA.

I downloaded the MPX management GUI and found that the gateway on EVA2 doesn't see any FC initiators. the other gateway (EVA1) finds one of the EVA control center HBA's, and two of the EVA1 FP's.

-- Alison
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Oh, one more thing. When I look the the FCIP Routes on both the remote switches and local switchs the "FC Link Status is 'down' "
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What firmware version is the MPX at?

Make sure it is up to date...

" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3373535&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3373534&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54 "

OK.. Review time...

1. Are your 2 Gateways plugged into the proper networks?

2. Is GbE1 and/or GbE2 on both gateways configured to talk to each other?

3. I wish I has a simulator on these things. (Still don;t have mine online yet)

4. You may need zones in each fabric that include the fibre port on the gateway and the 2 EVA ports you are going to use. I don't remember exactly, I will look at the config docs from my customer to help jog my memory. Otherwise, the gateways should simply connect to the switches as E-Ports.

You can try hard setting the ports to E_Ports. I think i may have done that "just to make sure"..

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ann Ayson
Advisor

just. shoot. me. now.

The firmware of both my MPX gateway is the latest version available.

Each gateway can ping the other, both GE ports.

In the MPX Management GUI I see no FC Initiators but I see one iSCSI initiator which happens to be one EVA port (the EVA port that's local to the MPX on which I can see the iSCSI initiator). I have no idea what's up with that.

I tried manually locking the FCIP port as an E port but that didn't work.

I tried adding the Gateway WWN's into my zone, that didn't work (and you're right, if they are ISL's they shouldn't need to be zoned).

I'm going to go hang myself now, I'll make sure to use a Cat5 cable when I do so.
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Steven,

Not sure if you're still out there but I wanted to let you know that I finally got my FCIP gateways working. One of the biggest issues turned out to be a bad network card on one of the gateways. The problem in figuring this out is that the network card didn't completely fail, it was just flakey. I kept thinking that it was something I was doing wrong because I'd get a link light but could only connect sporadically.

Second problem was that the two fabrics that needed to merge had different configuration names (duh). Such an easy thing in retrospect but I didn't see it. I only realized that this was the problem after I completely cleared out the configuration on the remote switch. Once I cleared the config and did a "switchenable" viola!

thanks for all your help!

Chandler Bing FA

What troubleshooting did you do to prove it was a faulty network card? I think we may have a similar issue. Thanks.