1748184 Members
3853 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failure during xcs upgrade

christos_12
Advisor

Failure during xcs upgrade

I' d like to know if there is a possibility for loosing an entire eva8000 or a vdisk , during a series of xcs firmware upgrades.
If something goes wrong during the upgrade, what is the element that likely be lost ?

Thanks!!
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Firmware update is done one controller at a time (in recent versions of firmware it's even done online), and checks are performed to ensure that the transfer is OK.
I have never had a case of a EVA controller corrupted during a firmware update. In any case the data on the disks will not be affected and you'll have to call HP to replace the flash card inside the controller or the entire controller.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> I' d like to know if there is a possibility for loosing an entire eva8000 or a vdisk , during a series of xcs firmware upgrades.

Even when never happened the entire loss of an EVA, YES, its possible. See the attached screenshot.

What id does happened to me is the failure of one or two disks after firmware update.

You should have a hp support contract or being in warranty period. You should have some spare disks to replace if you have a disk failure.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ivan, it looks like you talk about a disk drive firmware upgrade while the others talk about a controller firmware upgrade (of course, an XCS upgrade is usually followed by a disk drive FW upgrade)...

I agree - things that CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong one day - always make sure you have a good backup before you mess with your system.

Otherwise you might have to explain something to your boss...
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

If we are going to make a contest of EVA disasters, I can provide examples from customers in my country, but I don't want to inneccesarily scare anyone :)
I have seen data loss (and customer had no backup) in a EVA8000 because customer had the disk group too full and overcommited snapshots. Another that somehow uninitialized the EVA (they swear that they did not did it, but the logs do not lie). And another very strange too but I was in a training in another country and did not follow the case details.
But none while updating firmware.