1753317 Members
5243 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fiber Channel Loop Switces

Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Fiber Channel Loop Switces

We have configured eva5000 2c12d,now we are going to upgrade,Can we use the same loop switch in eva8000?
eva5000 uses copper fiber cable with integrated sfp's for connecting drive enlosure to loop switch.subsequently eva8000 uses same cable?

Regards
3 REPLIES 3
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi there,
As far as I am aware from all the HP documentation that I have read there is not a problem using your existing loop switches from an EVA5000 in an EVA8000 upgrade. The only thing I have read about the loop switches around replacement is that you do not mix them in an array [there are 3 variants of loop switches]. Not sure why really, don't see what the difference it would make but maybe someone in the itrc reading this does know ??

As far as the cables go then it makes no difference if you use seperate SFP's with "proper" glass cables or black cables with SFP's moulded in. All the backend [disk side] for both generations of EVA 3/5/4/6/8k are 2Gb/s for which both cable types are fine. It will make no difference if you mix them either.
However, the HOST ports for all EVA's should be SFP and the orange glass cables.

What you should bear in mind is that there is more to an EVA upgrade than the ctrls, switches & cables!!

For a start, from the config you described the 5k EVA ctrl pair = 3U, an EVA 8k pair = 4U !! HP recommend that to do this you remove the TOP pair of loop switches [=1U] then you will have 4U to put the controllers in. Now, where do you put the loops switches that you removed ? Well if it's a 41U rack then the answer is the floor or resting on top of the cabinet !! but seriously in the rack next door if you have one & the space in it?

You will probably find that you will also need to change the 24 I/O modules & 12 EMU's.

With this in mind, & with MANY other things to consider, you may wish to use your local HP reps to help you upgrade ?

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your valuable comments, as i hav got the picture clear that we can use the same fiber copper cables in eva8000 and the loop switch as well.(Some of the eva5000 are using M5214 enclosure which is the only enclosure that are using fiber optic connection and fiber optic transcivers as well at loop switches side,it may be require to change loop switches sfp's for this upgrade)am i rite?
Secondly,we are using disk enclosure (M5314)in eva5000 and eva8000 require M5314A disk enclosure,my question there is only differnce of emu & I/O in M5314/M5314A?
or we need to change the whole disk enclosure as well.

Sharjeel

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Again, as far as I am aware, there is no problem and the difference is the I/O modules and EMU. These must be at the correct revision for the second generation eva's [4/6/8K] and will require changing if they are the wrong revision.

There is also a M5314B encl available as well but this is for RoSH directive which I believe is currently only for Europe so should not affect you.
You can read about it here:
http://solutions.ihs.com/products/procurement/ec-solutions.htm?MID=W094&ocid=ec-lp
if you wish.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...