1753913 Members
9245 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update for Autoarray 12h

Alex Perez
Occasional Advisor

Firmware update for Autoarray 12h

Hello, we have an HP9000 (with hp-ux 10.20)model K360 connected to an Autoarray 12h (A3700AD).
We inserted 3 36Gb SCSI hard disk in this AutoArray, and when we want to asignate as a new LUN, it only recognises us 47Gb (instead of 72GB of assigned space).

Autoarray's firmware version is HP54, but I think it "sees" the 3 hard disks as 24Gb.

I read a document saying that firmware version should be at least HP54 to recognize correctly that kind of disks.

I tried to upgrade firmware version to last HP62, and downloaded file "ard_hp62-hp27.lif" (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=es_ESтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=19162&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=co435&locBasepartNum=co435en&os=HP-UX+10.x&tech=Firmware)

I booted from the Support Plus cd, and using ARDIAG (off line diagnostic, EDO) tried to upload the firmware, but it ask me for a password (??).

How can I get a password to upload the .lif firmware file?
Is there any other way?
Thank you very much!
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Firmware update for Autoarray 12h

Unless you are actually booting from the AutoRAID, you want the .fw firmware file rather than the .lif file.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_ESтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=19162&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=co545&locBasepartNum=co545en&os=HP-UX+10.x&tech=Firmware

You don't need to use ardiag; instead use the download command. Man download for details. This is actually a very easy procedure but make sure that you read the release note. Note that PHCO_22100 is also required.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Alex Perez
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Clay.
I look at the control panel and see the serial number, and then run:

"
download -C Model_12H_hp62.fw 0000000E0519

Copyright (C) 1995, 1997 Hewlett-Packard Company
Shutting Down. Shutting Down.. Shutting Down... Shutting Down.... (lots of them)
Too many attempts at changing the controller state.
Sending the controller a restart signal then aborting this program.

Initializing
Ready

AutoRAID firmware download program ending.
"

And it continues with firmware version HP54...

I also tried "download -Model_12H_hp62.fw /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0", and it says the same.

Any suggestion?
Many thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

first do an arraydsp -i to make sure that you have the correct arrayid. I'm away from my office so I can't check my notes but I seem to remember before doing the download, I would manually halt the array from the front panel and then run the download command. If that fails, make sure the array is in a Ready state before the download command.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Alex Perez
Occasional Advisor

Hi, I think I have found what was "the problem": this Autoarray has ActivSpare activated, so not initially all the capacity of the 3 disks is not assignated to availaible space.

It seems that the Autoarrays saves some of this capacity to increase redundancy and improve performance...

If we would disable ActivSpare I think we would get 72Gb available, but we would let it as it by now... some capacity sacrificed to improve performance and security :)

Thank you very much for your time and support!!