Disk Enclosures
1753725 Members
4593 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Formatting a VA7400 shared storage connected to two nodes HP-UX Service Guard cluster

berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Formatting a VA7400 shared storage connected to two nodes HP-UX Service Guard cluster

Hi,

I have a VA7400 shared storage connected trough redundant SANs to two nodes HP-UX Service Guard cluster. The VA went trough very critical conditions and the only way I could bring back the ready or the green light is to format and restore back the data onto it.
Can somebody give me all the step-by-step precautions I have to take before trying to format the VA ? Bearing in mind that all the configuration have to be restored.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Berenger
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Formatting a VA7400 shared storage connected to two nodes HP-UX Service Guard cluster

Depending on the version of the management software the command

armfmt

or

armfmt -f

will format the array.

This applies to commandview. You can also connect to the serial port and perform "fmt" or "vfpfmt".

This will clear all settings!

You need to re-create them from the recordings you made from the "armdsp -a " output.

This means you need to record all settings, format and manual configure all settings.

You can probably prevent "very critical conditions " by updating to a current firmware (HP22). At least this is my hope ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
freddy_21
Respected Contributor

Re: Formatting a VA7400 shared storage connected to two nodes HP-UX Service Guard cluster

the steps are:
1. Make sure you have backup data for your VA
2. collect configuration file system
3. shutdown your cluster
4. export all vg at va7400
5. collect configuration at va7400 ( about LUN configuration. if using serial connecttion the command is vfpdsp
6. format the disk
7. if possible upgrade firmware from controller, disk, batery ( to prevent the same problem)
8. reconfigure VA
9 create file system at one server ( same with the configuration)
10. export and import volume group ( for cluster configuration)
11. cmcheckconf ascii file. if ok, you can startup your cluster without aplication script
12. restore the data

Note: plese dont change configuration vg ( vg name, lvol name, mount point, or option from your vg. If you have diferent configuration,you must change at cluster ascii and control file from your package.

thanks
freddy

berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much for your reply. I am starting the work today. I will get back to you if anything.

Regards,
Berenger