4899 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HASS "Jamaicy": Recycling of Disk Modules

Enno Baars
Advisor

HASS "Jamaicy": Recycling of Disk Modules

Hello!

I almost fell off my chair reading the quotes I got on new drive modules for my A3311A "Jamaica" Drive
Cabinet.
($2150+tax for one 18.2GB module!)

Now comparing that to the current prices for bare SCSI hard drives (much, much lower!) I got the idea to open the drive modules I have now and just exchange the drives inside.

Does anyone have experience with that?
Will a standard hard drive, say a Seagate Barracuda, work at all? Or do I need to have a special firmware installed in the drive for it to be recognized by HP-UX 10.20?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Enno.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Disk Array. - Hp Forum Moderator

Oh God, I hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it! It never does that what I mean but only what I tell it.
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

I remember trying this once. No only do the drives need HP firmware on them but the controllers which connect to them (inside the unit) are essential - which means NO replacing them with some other scsi drives. Sorry.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I have also given this a try with no luck whatsoever. Your best solution may be to look at third party vendors, resellers, etc. for the best prices.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Enno Baars
Advisor

Hmmm, it seems to be hard to get reliable information on that topic...

I found a thread in one of the forums where people reported having no trouble replacing the hard drives with vanilla ones. They did use the old controllers from the old modules though.
But no talk about firmware trouble.

BTW, is there a difference between between connecting a drive to the HASS and connecting one to the workstation directly? (Apart from the modules with their adapters, of course.)

Still trying to save some money... :-)

Cheers,

Enno.

Oh God, I hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it! It never does that what I mean but only what I tell it.
David Navarro
Respected Contributor

Hi, If i'm not sure, but HP disks are the same disk that other vendors, only diferences are Firmware that is optimized for Unix servers. If you have fast wide scsi disks from other vendors, this drives will work with your server. Probably performance will be worth in that drives.

Good Luck