1752439 Members
5738 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HASS vs 12H performance

Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

HASS vs 12H performance

We are looking for input on this issue. All things being equal which would be faster a HASS storage enclosure with 18GB 7200rpm drives using LVM mirroring -OR- a 12H with 18GB 10k rpm drives strictly using RAID 1/0
Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Disk Array. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: HASS vs 12H performance

The 12H has cache, something the HASS rack does not. The 12H has raid capability, the HASS rack does not. With the 12H you have disks spinning at 10,000 rpm's, the hass rack disks at 7200rpm.

Not much of an argument.

For real performance, I'd look towards the VA7400 or the cheaper FC10's.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Nigel,

This is an interesting tidbit, though no "facts" to back it up that I could find:

http://aa11.cjb.net/hpux_admin/2000/02/0279.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

If you leave ~50% of the 12H capacity unconfigured as LUNS AND the number of disk modules is at least 8 AND you setup each VG as 2 equally sized LUN's with primary path for LUNa through Controller X (alternate Y) and primary path for LUNb through Controller Y (alternate X) AND you then stripe each LVOL across both of these LUNS (probably in 64k chunks) then the 12H will be the winner. Don't overlook it's best feature - when a disk module fails throw in a new one and walk away.
The old AutoRAID's will perform quite well if you configure them as I've described.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

all being said- except:
"it depends" on what you're going to do with it: the 12H has a cache far as I recall.
Even with a "stripe and mirror everything" the HASS will be slower, I'd expect.