5379 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HORCC_MRCF

Waugh
Frequent Advisor

HORCC_MRCF

Hi,
while checking the BC copy pair status we r giving the below command.
export HORCC_MRCF=1
export HORCMINST=2
=========================
i know what is HORCMINST.Horcm instance depend upon how many instances are running. but what is the meaning of HORCC_MRCF

Regards
Rkumar
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

See raid manager guide for more information.

As far as I know this should be set to 1 for BC.

regards,
ivan
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

HORCM =

Hitachi
Open
Raid
Copy
Manager

HORCC_MRCF =

Hitachi
Open
Raid
Copy
Command
_
Multi
Raid
Coupling
Facility

MRCF is the factory name for TrueCopy/Continuous Access. Im assuming you know that the XP is made by Hitachi in Japan and resold by HP, HDS and Sun. And that Hitachi in Japan are notorious for awful naming systems. The internal factory names for the XP are as follows -

XP1024 - RAID450
XP12000 - RAID500
XP24000 - RAID600

HDS also sell them as 9980, USP and USP-V respectively.

Anyway, because Continuous Access copies data between remote XP's I guess you could say it is "coupling" the arrays. Hence (MRCF) Multi-RAID Coupling Facility

So..........By default HORCM commands are sent to the TrueCopy/Continuous Access Command environment. If you dont set the variable and you issue commands such as paircreate it will try and create a pair with a remote XP using Continuous Access.

In order to tell HORCM to issue your commands (pairdisplay etc) to the ShadowImage/Business Copy command environment you must specify the HORCC_MRCF variable.

Any variable starting with HORCC relates to the HORCM Command environment. But if I go any further we will get into HORCM/RAID Manager theory and its pretty dull.

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor

You can also dictate all those on the command line.

pairdisplay -ICA0 (ICA meaning Instance CA 0)
paircreate -IBC0 (IBC meaning Instance BC 0)

HORCM 0 would be ICA0/IBC0
HORCM 1 would be ICA1/IBC1

etc...

I actually prefer not to use the environment variables, because then I can fully guarantee that I'm going against the correct instance and whatnot.
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Actually, Hitachi assembles the arrays in Norman, OK, USA. I've toured the factory.

And unlike in the beginning, Hitachi now licenses HP-authored array firmware for their own use because ours worked better than theirs.
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

But to answer your original question, if HORCC_MRCF is unset, RMXP will assume you are acting upon CA pairs. If HORCC_MRCF is set to 1, RMXP instead assumes you wish to act upon BC pairs.

HORCMINST determines your point-of-view with BC pairs assuming you have PVOLs in one instance and SVOLs in another. It will determine which volumes are labeled local (L) and which are labeled remote (R). This is a critical distinction if you are running paircreate commands from the cmd line and want to avoid wiping out production data.
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Ah, and I believe you will find that HORCM actually stands for Hitachi Online Remote Copy Manager.
chetan morey
Advisor

Hi All,

I working on both BC and CA replication envirment .

My questions are:

1.What is the difference between this two variable HORCMINST and HORCC_MRCF

2.What variable should export for CA and BC

3.How to decide variable values for CA and BC