1752815 Members
5942 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2212fc

Gene Laoyan
Super Advisor

HP 2212fc

I need some performance numbers on an HP 2000 Series MSA (2212fc). This has 2 4Gb Fibre controllers.
I am using the SQLIO tool because my intentions are to virtualize development SQL servers. The numbers I keep getting are 24 and 25 MB/sec. I think this is very slow. Does anyone have some any performance measurements?

Here ar my prameters I use....

paramD.txt:
D:\testfildeD.dat 4 0x0 2048

Commandline used:
sqlio -kw -s60 -frandom -o8 -b64 -LS -FparamD.txt

This thing has got to do more than this. The storage array is configured as follows:
12 SAS 15K 300GB Drives
RAID 5 with a hot spare
16K Chunk size
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2212fc

Hello Gene,

you should use RAID 1 for databases, because databases do often short writes (only one chunk in a striped is changed). This means: One logical write is devided into four physical IOs - two read and two write IOs.

Please repeat the test with RAID 1+0. Otherwise you can test with IOmeter the performance.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Gene Laoyan
Super Advisor

Re: HP 2212fc

I reconfigured the array to 1+0 using all 12 disks. Chunk Size is 64K and NTFS is 64K. I did get a higher rate of ~60MB/sec, however, I lose half of my storage space and when virtualizing, storage space is a premium. Was I mistaken when chosing this model for virtualization? I am starting to think so.
These are SAS drives with 3G tranfer rate and 4Gb Fibre connection and this is the performance I get. What a joke! In all honesty even 60MB/sec is a joke.
I just read the specs on it here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12991_div/12991_div.html
and it says they acheived the performance numbers by....."Forty-eight 300GB 15K SAS drives were used in
dual controller configurations". I basically have to purchase a fully populated 4 shelves of drives to be adequate in virtulization on SQL 2005. I think I am done with HP storage.