4337 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ACU vs Windows Disk Management

create share
Occasional Advisor

HP ACU vs Windows Disk Management

Hi!

Is it better to split a RAID-1 and RAID-5 into multiple Logical Drives within HP ACU or Windows Disk Management?

Secondly, can splitting RAID-1 and RAID-5 into multiple Logical Drives degrade performance?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, I assume that the hardware raid controller is better at raid than Windows is. Nonetheless if you are worried about performance you probably want to have as much CPU resources available for your applications.

Creating logical volumes should not degrade performance. They all share the caches.
create share
Occasional Advisor

Sorry! my question was wrong. It should have been like this:

I have created one Array with 2 Hard Disks 900GB each and another array with 4 Hard disks 900GB. Now i need to create Logical Volumes which will be RAID-1 and RAID-5 respectivily.

Is it better to create a single Logical Drive for RAID-1 and a single for RAID-5 and assign full space to them then create multiple partitions during windows installation or from Windows disk management  or split these arrays into multiple Logical Drives with HP ACU and distribute space among them?

Which one is better and which one is better for a Hyper-V server if i need to install the Host OS on one RAID-1 Logical Drive and Guest OSs on other RAID-1 Logical Drive?

Please checked the attached.

Thanks.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, I'd check out the restrictions for resizing logical drives. Like in the picture you showed, can you resize all logical drives?

If you only have two larger logical drives then you don't have to worry about changing the size of the arrays or logical drives.

I'd say it's easier to resize disks/files (located on a logical drive) that the virtual machines use rather than resizing logical drives.

create share
Occasional Advisor

So you mean it is better to keep one Logical Volume as RAID-1 and one as RAID-5 and then partition them further within windows if required for virtual machines operating systems?

Did i understand correctly?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I don't know about the requirements of hyper-v or such, or which is better or not. There might be best practices documents for this.

But I suppose you might want to constrain the space of virtual machines if they can grow dynamically.

Which to do it might also have something to do with which you are most used to. Are you more comfortable/used to managing partitions within windows? Maybe that's a good reason alone to use that instead of logical drives.