108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP AutoRAID ARMServer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

HP AutoRAID ARMServer

I am having some problems trying to recover a K460 running HP-UX 11.0 that is connected to an AutoRAID. There appear to be multiple problems, but there are two volume groups that use AutoRAID LUNs, one (vg02) that uses LUNs 0 through and including LUN 6 and another that uses LUN 7 (vg01). The two lvols in vg01 on LUN 7 are fine and appear to work fine, however the single lvol (lvol1) in vg02 on the other LUNs (0-6) cannot pass fsck, even when done manually and the -b option to fsck doesn't help.

I can't run /opt/hparray/bin commands such as
arraydsp, amdsp, arraylog or amlog as it reports that the ARMServer and AM60Srvr are responding, because they are not running or still initializing. I have tried to run /sbin/init.d/hparamgr and /sbin/init.d/hparray, but I don't see any affect after executing them. I do see /usr/lbin/hpC2400/arraymond running, but don't see anything else that looks like it would correspond to ARMServer or AM60Srvr.
After reading the /sbin/init.d/hpar* scripts I believe that this isn't supposed to run until the array lvols are mounted. Is this correct?

Are there any other tools, that could give me the status of the array with an unmounted file system.

One difference is that /dev/vg02/lvol1 is hfs and /dev/vg01/lvol1 & lvol2 are vxfs, per the /etc/fstab. I also noticed that ARRAYMON_PID and ARMSERVER_PID are not set. I suppose I could set them if found them running, but I haven't.

An additional problem I observed that the ioscan on the path to the Y controller shows no devices at all, but on the X controller, I can do an /etc/diskinfo and all 8 LUNs and they appear to report as expected, so I don't think this is relevant, and that I just have a corrupt file system.
Mom 6
6 REPLIES 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Re: HP AutoRAID ARMServer

Well I force mounted it with "mount -f -F hfs /arprd3, but I still can't seem to get ARMServer going.
Mom 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Armserver process has to be started to get the status of the array.
Assuming , the during startup the process failed to start ( /sbin/init.d/hparray start, check the /etc/rc.log if it didn't)
Did you try starting it using
# /opt/hparray/bin/ARMServer

What you see in the syslog, ioscan,dmesg and on the LCD panel of the array?

Refer following docs as well.
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080021063

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080061938

Perform action based on the situaion of the problem ( what you see there )carefully.

The process "armserver" is nothing to do with lvol mounting/dismounting. It is a front end server process which communicates with array to provide its status against array commands.

I suspect those luns are not available/accessible to allow you to mount the lvol. Thats why fsck is failing. I guess it related to Y controller not showing up any devices. It must be secondary controller. Is thes issues happened suddenly or something was done recently?
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Unknown how recent it is. I only got involved when it lost a vg00 disk and lost /opt and /var, so not that vg00 is mostly recovered, I am trying to find out why the rest of the system isn't functioning completely. Thanks for your help. I will check it tomorrow. I have now backed up vg01 and since I force mounted vg02, I am in the process of backing it up. Once that is done, I will unmount and see if I can mount without the force option. If so, it might be just as easy to reboot.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Sameer,
Thank you. Excellent help. Although I didn't see any issues at all in /etc/rc.log with respect to the array, there was no output from the lauch of those scripts, but I did notice that rpcd failed, which would explain my CDE problems, and traced it back to directories and files missing in /var/opt which were not successfully recovered. I'm not sure if this affects the ARMServer or AM60Srvr or not, but it is something that needs to be fixed. The references looked very appropriate and I will work through them. Thanks again.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The problem was that the rpcd daemon wasn't running. Once I got the files in /var/opt loaded back on the system, and started the rpcd, I was able to get both the ARMServer and AM60Server running with some help from ITRC Technical Knowledge Base (ID A5261845)
specifically:
# touch LOGCATLG
# /sbin/init.d/hparray start (waited a couple of minutes)
# /sbin/init.d/hparamgr start
/opt/hparray/bin# ./AM60Srvr
/opt/hparray/bin# ./ARMServer
And now everything is working.
Thanks Sameer, I should give you an extra point.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The problem was solved, thank to Sameer's pointers.
Mom 6