Disk Enclosures
1753451 Members
5872 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP LH6000R and integrated NetRaid controller

Barry LaLone

HP LH6000R and integrated NetRaid controller

I installed windows 2003 advanced server w/ 4x18Gb drives in raid 5 config. This setup was working fine for over a month. I got another similar server and wanted to configure them the same. I took 2 drives and put into the other server and put 3x36 gb drives in 1st server. So server 1 has 2x18gb drives in raid 1 config and 3x36gb drives in raid 5.
I reloaded windows 2003 enterprise and started having strange issues like unexpected reboots etc. So I upgraded the firmware on the controller and backplane. After upgrading the firmware I have installed windows 2003 enterprise which reboots just as it enters windows over and over again. I tried windows 2000 advanced server which dies with different blue screens upon windows startup such as IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN or PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I tried windows nt enterprise which dies at startup with "disk read error". I tested the RAM extensively and it passes. At this point I wish I had not upgraded the firmware. Is there anyway to get a down rev firmware? Any ideas? I am pulling my hair out here.
3 REPLIES 3
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Re: HP LH6000R and integrated NetRaid controller

Hi,

On which Ldev you are trying to install OS? Right decision would be Raid 1 Only. Have you tried doing it on raid5 LDEV just to confirm the Firmware upgrade as culprit. It does not look like a Firmware problem. Have you formatted both the disks in Raid1 prior to recreating LDEV.

Also you can try by running Consistency check on the LDEV from the card BIOS/Utility provided along with card.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
e4services
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a power supply issue to me, specially since you had it up for a month. There have been many reports that unexpected reboots come from the system protection seeing power fluctuations, and replacing the power supplies seems to solve this issue.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Barry LaLone

UPDATE. I have since swapped out the hot-swap drive cage and backplane suspecting the firmware. This had no effect. I also disabled the NetRaid functionality in the bios and used 1 scsi drive in the cage to install the O/S. Result was the same. To clarify the symptoms are I can install O/S of my choice. O/S installs completely without any problems in every case. Upon final reboot and attempt to start the new O/S the O/S will crash. This is not an intermittent problem, I can reproduce it reliably every time. So that kind of shoots down a power supply theory, as all the drives and peripherals power up during the install process as well. Windows 2003 Enterprise Server gets a blue screen and reboots so fast you can barely see it. I am begining to suspect some bad ram despite what the testing software has to say, afterall the test software is running on that ram. Also as an fyi I have another box just like this one and loaded it yesterday without issue and it is running fine.