New Discussion юеВ

HP ML 110 ProLiant G6 / P212 RAID Array Controller Card issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stevie Eccleson
Advisor

HP ML 110 ProLiant G6 / P212 RAID Array Controller Card issue

Hi all,
New to the forum, so thanks for taking the time to read this.
I recently bought an ML 110 ProLiant G6 server, with 8gb of RAM and 4TB of HDD (4 x 1TB).
I installed the P212 RAID array controller along with the 4 port SATA cable to connect to the 4HDD.
On booting up the server it seems that the RAID controller card is detected, but it won't see any of the HDD's, nor when I press f8 will it allow me to access the RAID card when it's flashing "initialize".
I called HP and they suggested that the P212 card is faulty, perhaps it is, but I'm not convinced.
I checked that all the discs were fine by connecting each to the onboard RAID controller card and each of the discs were detected fine.
So I know the HDD's are good.
What am I doing wrong? Is it a simple case of the P212 being faulty or is there something more obvious? The fact that I can see the P212 listed in the systems BIOS worries me a little.

Any suggestions, tips, I'd be really grateful.
Cheers
Stevie
21 REPLIES 21
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

Re: HP ML 110 ProLiant G6 / P212 RAID Array Controller Card issue

hello Stevie,

so you have ml110g6 + p212 + 4 port cable kit

if you press f8 in Smart array you can enter the ORCA, and you can choose create or view logical drive. if you cannot see any hdd there is something wrong: raid controller, hdds or cable.

because you have 4 hdds, i think there is no hdd problem. so cable or p212.
is there any bbwc / additonal memory on the controller? on the bios boot, there is some message in smart array?

andras
Stevie Eccleson
Advisor

Hi Andras,
Thanks for replying.
I couldn't get into ORCA via the F8 key when the P212 card was initialising, it simply wouldn't let me do it, then it wanted to boot to a PXE network boot.

All the HDD's are working fine (4) as I connected them all upto the internal onboard raid controller, and all were detected, so I know it's not the discs.

So it either has to be the 4 port cable, but the thing with that is that even when I disconnected the 4 port cable from the P212 card I still couldn't access the ORCA from the card by pressing F8.

I'm a bit baffled, just as an afterthought, with regards to the 4 port cable, there is an additonal thin cable attached to it, which has a 16 pin connector on it which connects on to the back of the P212, and at the other end it has a 2 port pin connector.

What is this for? Do I need it for the RAID controller?

All help gratefully received, I'm tending to thing that the RAId card is knacked, but how often to RAID cards go bad?

Cheers
Stevie
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Puzzling...

Did the card come with an install guide? Maybe there is something you need to set in the BIOS (not the Card's)?

If it does not even allow you into the firmware via F8 (does it show that message to press F8?) -- then it is likely either there is somethingin the Server's BIOS or the card is faulty.

I'd still go a once over on the documentation if you have it.
Hakuna Matata.
Stevie Eccleson
Advisor

Hi there,
Yes, very puzzling.
I'm not prompted to press F8 anywhere at all.
When I go into the system BIOS, the BIOS see's the card no problems, but it simply won't let me do anything with it.
All 4 HDD's are detected with the onboard array, so I know it's not the disks.
I can't press F8 and that prevents me getting to the ORCA, the systems BIOS won't let me modify or alter any of the settings to detect and install the 4 HDD's...it's a very basic BIOS if I'm being honest.
I've had problems in the past with HP servers and array cards, mainly with the P400 card, but this one has me stumped.
I have done everything that most people on here would likely do, i can only assume that the card is faulty, but as I said above, it just doesn't sit right with me.
Thanks again
Stevie
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I have a P400i but it is on an Integrity hardware. And it is administered differently.

Maybe on Windows it is not F8? Maybe F9 or CTRL-A or CTRL-P? Suggets you check the docu man.
Hakuna Matata.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

During boot there is a Array initialization message and to configure.

if you see no messages during boot and only an HP logo, then hit the space bar during the HP logo. you should then see all the io card init messages and possible prompts.

at least this is the way it is on the DL3/5xx series proliants.

Stevie Eccleson
Advisor

Hi and thanks to everyone, I've came in this morning and I've tried all the possible key strokes/combinations - but all without success.

I'm suspecting that the RAID array card is faulty, even though the systems BIOS can see it, it simply won't let me manipulate or alter the cards's configuration.

I had a look at the cards docu, and it's all very 'bland' - a very basic setup process, nothing which states "you should do this" in the event of this not working.

I think I will need to get a replacement RAID card.

Stevie
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

How about - Try reseating or move card to a diff PCIe slot?
Hakuna Matata.
Glenn Hudgins
Advisor

I have both the ML 110 and ML 115 servers. It's been awhile since I set them up, but if my memory serves me right, I had the same problem not seeing anything about the RAID card during boot. I had to go into the BIOS and set the BIOS to boot to the RAID card as opposed to booting from the 1st SATA HD. Once I did this I finally saw the F8 message during the boot and was able to access the RAID setup and create the type of RAID I wanted.

HTH
Glenn