MSA Storage
1753769 Members
5112 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP MSA 2040 SAN storage system replace new drive.

Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

HP MSA 2040 SAN storage system replace new drive.

One of our disks was reported as faulted. When we put a replacement disk in our storage, it didn't end up in a volume/pool where it should have. Instead, it generated its own volume/pool and made some inconsistency in our storage. The new drive was not marked as "Available". The replacement disk was once used in the old system. We tried to resolve those issues by deleting the non-existing pool but it affected our storage configuration. (some screenshots provided in the closed ticket mentioned above). Help please

11 REPLIES 11
Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP MSA 2040 SAN storage system replace new drive.

version number: GL210R004our In total there are 10 pools. Disk number: 6x25 mostly 600GB SAS, but there are 900GB too.

Our system is currently working and our tools can use storage. But current storage doesn't look alright. And we need help from HP storage expert.

Unable to see any screenshot.

1st of all there can be max two pools. With physical drives you make Virtual disk groups. This is for Virtual Array.

In case of linear array, with physical drives you make Virtual Disks.

So if you insert any drive and that contains Vdisk info or Virtual disk group information of previous system where you have used before, then you need to delete the Vdisk or Virtual DIsk Group and after that disk will become Available state.

If you find duplicate vdisk or Virtual disk group name, then use the serial number of them for deletion operation so that it will not impact existing production vdisk or Virtual disk group.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

Hi  SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

please find attached screenshot. and provide how should i fix this ? disk_error_01.jpgdisk_ok_01.jpg

As you are dealing with Linear vdisks so try to login by using SMU Version 2 rather than Version 3,

https://<management IP address>/v2/index.html

Also you can check from CLI and confirm the same.

Tell one thing, Vdisk named "itkvfde02_2" was already exists and part of production or this appeared after you have inserted new drive ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

it was lready exists and part of production.

Then your concern is why drives are not seen when you select the vdisk from SMU like you can see for other Vdisks.

It's just reporting issue for which you can login to one of the Controller CLI and restart both management controller together. This will not impact in production.

# restart mc both

In order to double confirm you can check vdisk details from SMU V2 and CLI as well like I said in the last post

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

OK, as i wrote the MSA reporrteds fualty disk and after replacment with nwe one it's came as you see no realated disks up.

and i think that i need to configure my MSA before adding new disk. I'll try to restart the both management controller and i hope this can fix our issue. thank you SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1  

Drive replacement is simple process. You can also have a look at below document,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=null&docId=emr_na-c03792356

There is no need to reconfigure anything. All seems to be fine. This is just reporting issue which should be fixed after restart of management controllers.

If still issue perists then upgrade Controller firmware to latest version GL225P002-02

Upgrade path will be GL210R004 -> GL220P010 -> GL225P002-02

Download link for GL220P010,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_1a23df52ec684b349672119f2f

Download link for GL225P002-02,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_963950744579459aae30fc9690

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khiyar1
Occasional Advisor

Hi  SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

sorry for this, but Vdisk named "itkvfde02_2" was appeared after I have inserted new drive. I have informed about this before i start the Restart for th CM Both.

so please lets go ahead on this senario if the Vdisk appeared after inserting new Drive.

Br,