1752796 Members
5609 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP N4000 switching from loop to fabric on Fiber Channel

David Yates_2
Occasional Advisor

HP N4000 switching from loop to fabric on Fiber Channel

I have an N4000 running HPUX 11.0 with FC cards A5158A. We are changing the server from a direct connection and loop mode to a SAN with fabric mode. When I boot up the server, I get the following error:

ALERT: fcT1 (0, 3899, 0/2/0/0) Fibre Channel Driver received an interrupt indicating a Link Failure. The Frame Manager Status Register is 0x180010FA.

When the server is fully up, I cannot see the SAN switch at all. What have I overlooked in the change or what might be missing?
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

A5158 is autosensing, and should work in fabric as soon as you'll connect it to the switch. Which switch do you use? 2GB capable? Then make sure port A5158A you're connecting to is not set to 2GB fixed speed, but at least autonegotiation (or 1GB, as soon as A5158A is 1GB capable only).
To troubleshoot problem, connect server to the switch, and issue 'tdutil /dev/tdX' to check what's driver telling. Then go to switch, and look to port status from switch side (switchshow for brocades)
Eugeny
David Yates_2
Occasional Advisor

I am mistaken. The FC cards are A3740-60101, not A5158A.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

I checked:
a) this adapter is not capable running fabric (loop only);
b) it's not supported in 11i
Eugeny
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Dave
Your A3740 adapters are not capable of doing fabric login (neither public loop nor direct fabric) but private loop only.
You can do the following:
1. Set the switch to quick loop or create quick loop zones on your switches (assuming you are using Brocades) This has the advantage that your device addressing will not change.

2. Replace your A3740 by new HBAs. There is a promotion available. Look at
http://www.hp.com/products1/unixserverconnectivity/upgrade.html
This way you are up to date. Remember that device addressing changes when going from private loop to fabric environment.
Have a look at the Fabric Migration guide on:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/J2635-90014.pdf

What storage devices are you running? Are they fabric capable? Please state!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage