1752812 Members
5942 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP NetRAID Array + Windows 2003 Server

Jason Ogle

HP NetRAID Array + Windows 2003 Server

Hello,

IтАЩve recently inherited a retired HP NetServer LC 2. IтАЩm using the NetRAID controller to create a RAID-0 stripped across 3, 9.1G SCSI drives. The Windows 2003 Server setup will go as far as formatting the drive and copying the install files, but once the first reboot takes place it tells me there is an error with the Disk hardware configuration. I can successfully install RedHat Linux advance server on the same RAID configuration without a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
6 REPLIES 6
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Exactly what error does it give? Is there anything in the event log? Also, is this RAID set acting as your OS boot partition or as a data partition? Windows may need the kernel in order to recognise the stripe set, but I'm not sure about the NetRAID - might work, might not.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Jason Ogle

I'm attempting a windows install, so there's no event log to check. What I'm doing is configuring the RAID-0 using the NetRAID controller board from HP. The Windows install sees the unallocated space and even goes so far as to format the virtual drive and copy the install files to it. Once the reboot to begin the install happens Windows tells me there is a Hardware configuration error with the disks and that I should consult my hardware provider's user manual. This is a "hand-me-down" box, so I dont have the user manual.
e4services
Honored Contributor

I would suggest that it is a drive problem.
Try this.
Connect only one of the drives to the onboard SCSI, you will need a 68-80 pin SCSI adapter. Install the OS to that. Once up and running you can work out the issues with drivers for the RAID adapter and move the drive to the that adapter.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Jason Ogle

As a matter of fact I did that just last night with the same results. A friend of mine has a copy of the HP Navigator CD, so I'm hoping that will help me out. If I can get something going with it, I'll post back with the solution. Worst case scenario will be a VMWare box running in Linux to host a Windows server...
Jason Ogle

Well, the navigator CD only provided a driver disk for NT 4.0. After more digging and "googling" I was able to successfully install Windows Server 2000 by creating a second partition of less than 1G in size. (See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216645) After the server 2K install was complete I thought it safe to go ahead and upgrade to Windows Server 2003. Same Results on the upgrade. I have what I think (at least what I can find) is the latest firmware on all components. Still searching for the Windows Server 2003 on NetServer LC II NetRAID solution...
dana jenner_1

I have had similar problems with HP Lpr servers. Removing the NetRaid controller works. These have on-board Symbios SCSI controllers, so they still work. You lose the ability to create RAID stripes though.

dana