1752596 Members
5449 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP NetRAID

J├╕rn Iversen

HP NetRAID

Hi
Can someone tell me in detail what the CDB and the Sense Data meen?
This is a part of the logfile from the NetRAID Assistant.
NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 9 with the following sense key - Mon Jun 28 12:40:40 2004
Time Stamp Date = On Jun,27 2004 At 12:2:46
The CDB = 4d 00 40 00 00 00 00 01 ff 00
Sense Data = 70 00 0b 0b 00 00 00 28 00 00 00 00 43 00 00 00 00 00

One of my HP NetServers LH3000r keep telling me that I've got bad disks, but all of them is replaced with new disks provided by HP. The disk ID vary
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: HP NetRAID

Hello Jorn,

when a drive sends a check condition to the controller, the controller will go out and read the log from that disk, the SCSI CDB is 4d and is the 'log sense' scsi command.

The sense key returned by the disk then in this case was a valid one and is:

0b :aborted command
Indicates the drive has stopped trying to act on a command, usually through some problem on the SCSI bus.

43 00h Message error,a message could not be sent or received because of excessive transmission errors.

This means that is or their has been a problem, can be from cable or disk itself.
If those sense keys do not re-occur when the system is online i would not worry to much about this one time occurence. If you have the proper monitor software for the Netraid and the Netserver TopTools management agents installed, every new check condition will be added to the Windows EventLog and you will be alerted whenever something happens via the Windows Eventlog and you then should not rely on going into Netraid assistant to lookup the log file.

I must warn you that their has been a problem with the Netraid Assistant utility/ log viewer in a way that every time you start the Netraid assistant, it will add the last couple of entries from the controllers ardware errorlog again into the raid.log file.
This might be misleading and might let you think their is still a problem with the disk(s), however this is not the case and is just a bug of some kind.

If new check conditions occur however, they will be added and you will see the difference, if not sure, check the Windows Eventlog since that one will only post you new check conditions.

Make also sure you update to the latest F/W and Netraid monitor utilities which are available on HP's public web.

hth

Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: HP NetRAID

Hello Jorn,

here is an example of how such an entry in the Eventlog looks like if you have the agents installed:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: HPEventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 216
Date: 6/15/2004
Time: 2:27:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxx
Description:
HP Event Log : [MSG_D470A2] NetRAID: Command completed with check condition on adapter 0, channel 0 and Target ID 3 sense_key= 2 ASC= 64 ASCQ= 128.