3319 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP San Array 1000

Antonio Traetto
Occasional Advisor

HP San Array 1000

Does anyone have any advice with the following issue:

I have a set of blades (4), Windows 2000 and 2003 connected via fibre to a HP SAN Array 1000, and I have created various mirror and RADI 5 groups on the full set of 14 disks.
However when I copy or write to a file on one blade the other blade cannot see the same file on the same drive.

I am using Securepatch which is workinf fine, anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You would need additional software to provide you with a shared file system - neither Windows 2000 nor 2003 has that in the base operating system - not even in their clustering software which works on a 'shared nothing' base.
Antonio Traetto
Occasional Advisor

I was understanding that securepath was the software the allows the file systems to be shared and also resilient? If not what software can you use?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Secure Path is a multipath filter driver to work around the fact that Windows does not have any code to handle redundant paths to a LUN.
Antonio Traetto
Occasional Advisor

Apologies I also meant to say that provided was Veritas Foundation Suite to handle the file sharing and resilience also. When I receive the licence for this I will test.
Just thhought you may know of a good software product for this.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Antonio,

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows allows you to move disks between different servers, but I don't think you can have the same disk online to 2 servers simultaneously for sharing the file-system.
In VSFW, if a dynamic disk group is imported on server 1, it cannot be accessed by server 2 until you deport it on server 1 and then import it on server 2.
Other forum users have mentioned a product called Polyserve, which is supposed to allow simultaneous disk access for multiple servers under Windows. I have no experience with this, though.

Regards,
Stephen
Antonio Traetto
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, I also have the Veritas Cluster software, now call SANPoint Foundation suite, along with Storage foundation which should allow me to cluster and file share between the four servers(2 x Two server clusters.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Polyserve offers a clustering product that allows for the sharing of one disk amongst multiple servers.

I would not call it the BEST available software, just one that I have seen before that looks to work.

www.polyserve.com

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Antonio Traetto
Occasional Advisor

I have used Veritas Cluster software before, they now have a suite call VERITAS SANPoint Foundation Suite, which includes Clustering and file system sharing.