1752700 Members
5561 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Smart Array E200 Boot Issue

Nicholas Noonan

HP Smart Array E200 Boot Issue

Hi,

I have a HP Smart Array E200 (with BBWC) that is refusing to boot to an OS. The BIOS sees it just fine and is set to boot to it. The e200 firmware is at the latest rev (1.86b). I'm able to install an OS to an array on the controller, just not boot to that OS afterwards.

I'm running 6x sata disks. Two are in a raid 1 (OS volume) and six are in a raid 10. The raid 1 is showing up as logical drive #1 with the raid 10 as logical drive #2.

I'm seeing in the documentation that you should be able to change the 'boot controller' in ORCA. A screenshot showed ORCA version 8.30 and had the option. I'm running 8.20 and don't see the option anywhere. I'm not sure if that's the issue. I'm not finding any way to update ORCA, either.

Can anyone help me get this thing to boot?

Much Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
cnb
Honored Contributor

Which "thing" are you trying to boot? System type might help better identify the issue.

Does the system firmware meet any E200 requirements?

Which OS are you trying to boot?

Rgds,
Nicholas Noonan

I'm building a cheap whitebox esxi server. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, and recognizes the card as a bootable device.

I have the controller set in the boot order. It'll get to the point where it's supposed to boot to the controller, and does nothing. Is it possible that it's looking at the wrong logical drive to boot to? That's why I was looking into the 'boot controller' setting.

I'm able to install OSes (I've tried windows server 2008r2 and esxi 4.0) to the raid 1 volume, but not boot to them after doing so. I'm also able to use the controller after installing the OS to a drive directly connected to the motherboard, but I'd like the OS drive to be redundant.

I'd try to install the OS to the other logical volume, just in case that would work, but I have data on that drive that I don't want to lose.