108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device Driver

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nick Morris
Advisor

HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device Driver

Not sure if this is the right forum, but feel free to move it to the correct one if i am wrong...

Anyway does anyone know if it is possible to download a HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device Driver?

The reason for this is i am using Netbackup and BMR to do my backups and it is complaining about the current driver for HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device is not supported or in simpler terms it doesn't like it and try to upgrade it. So i was seeing if it is possible to upgrade it or not (if there is an upgrade). I currently have the 5.0.0.1 version (24/02/2005)

Cheers,

Nick
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Nick,

I assume you're referring to the Windows driver...

You can usually find the driver (actually just an INF file) bundled in with the drivers for HP fibre cards.

I don't recall the exact filename off hand... I'll try and dig it out.

Cheers,

Rob
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It's on SACD.inf, just uncompress the HP HBA driver

That contains the names for HSG60 / HSG60 / EVA 3000 / EVA 5000 / EVA 4000 / EVA 6000 / EVA 8000 / XP128 / XP256 / XP512 / XP1024 disk arrays

It's just a INF file so Windows identifies the device with a name and a category.
Nick Morris
Advisor

Thanks guys. Found the HBA driver i was after on HP site after a bit of digging and updated driver as needed.

However it seems a Netbackup problem with this device and there way to get around this is to disable the HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device during inital backup.

Can someone tell me what the HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device actually does and the impact of disabling this? I did a quick test and it doesn't seem to lose the SAN disk, so was just wondering what this actually does? Probably a really newbie type question, but then again my storage knowledge is hardly fantastic.

Cheers,

Nick
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You don't need a driver for the HSV210, the SACD.inf contains information so Windows can give that device a category and a name.
The important driver is the one of the fiber channel adapter, there's a minimum version for each EVA firmware release.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As mentioned previously, you don't have to have a windows driver for the array controller device...

All the INF file does, is provide Windows with enough information to prevent it from displaying a yellow question mark in device manager...

If NetBackup is still complaining, I'd be tempted to talk to Symantec to find out why...

Cheers,

Rob
Nick Morris
Advisor

Hiya,

The problem with this is apparently a known issue with Symantec in that Netbackup doesn't support multi-pathed devices within their bare metal restore product.

However more of a curiosity thing of what the HP StorageWorks EVA 8000 Storage Array Controller Device does in Windows? When disabling it, it doesn't lose the disks or have any visible effect. Just trying to both determine what it does and at the same time improve my own knowledge of SANs. If there's a document that tells me all of these kind of things then feel free to point me in that direction.

Cheers,

Nick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There are two ways to locate a LUN on a target address:

- send an inquiry to any possible LUN address and see if a response comes back - that can take some time as most operating systems can deal with 256 LUNs/target and some can do even more.

- send an inquiry (REPORT LUNs) to LUN address 0 (that's where the EVA's SACD is mapped to) and ask the target to provide information which LUN adresses are used. If I remember correctly, a bitmap is immediately returned and the server does not need to query on non-existing addresses.