New Discussion юеВ

HP Storageworks Continuous Access/Business Copy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

HP Storageworks Continuous Access/Business Copy

Hi,
Lame question I know, but I want to make sure, are HPs RSM products Continuous Access/Business Copy compatible/supported ONLY for HP Storageworks EVA line (4400/6400/8400)? What I mean is if I have an EVA4400 can I use the products mentioned above to copy/replicate to one of our existing SAN/EVA that is outside of HP's proprietary family (Compellent, etc.).
From what I've read, it would seem that they are not and are intended for use within HP's proprietary platfoms (i.e. Storagework EVA). Doing some research on the products and wanted to be sure like I said.

Thanks

Mauro
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Storageworks Continuous Access/Business Copy

BC is a feature that only works *within* a single array.

CA is for replication within the EVA family. It is possible (to a certain level) to do replication between generations. There is no way to use CA with a different vendor or a different HP array (MSA, XP).

But as far as I know, these limits exist for other vendor's arrays as well, because replication is not just a simple copy of some blocks to a remote disk.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks Uwe,
That's what I thought. So in order use data replication on my production EVA with CA, I'd have to buy another HP EVA.

Thanks
Mauro
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Correct. Please note that there can be limitations when mixing EVA generations and that *both* EVAs require CA licenses.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

All noted.
Thanks so much. You've been a great help.

Mauro
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Uwe,
Can we implement CA with-in the same EVA if there is enough free space.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
CA is used *between* EVA's - so I am afraid the answer would be "no" (it is not possible).
Use BC for local replication.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...