108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP XP snapshot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Snapshot

HP XP snapshot

Hi ,
I have XP24000 array .Currently I am using BC copies to take backup .I want to use snapshot for Backup and Testing env.I wanted know few things before that .

1.Can I restore the production Vol using snapshot ,like i do from BC (resync BC to Prod) ..?
2.How much Pool space is needed for snapshots ?
3.If I use BC /snapshot combination ,i.e I will sync BC with Prod ,then take a snapshot of BC ,this snapshot I will present to test server ,where testing will be done .Im meanwhile can I keep synching BC with prod (in this scenario I am still taking backup from BC )what effect it will have on snapshot ?
3.Can I use same pool for multiple snapshot of same Prod Vol OR can I can use same Poool for snapshot of different prod vol ...

Any help in this regard will be appreciated ...
Please suggest any good documents ,beside snapshot guide available on site ....

Thanks in advance.....
3 REPLIES 3
Snapshot

Re: HP XP snapshot

Any updates friends.....
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Snapshot

Find my answers below:

I have XP24000 array .Currently I am using BC copies to take backup .I want to use snapshot for Backup and Testing env.I wanted know few things before that .

1. Can I restore the production Vol using snapshot ,like i do from BC (resync BC to Prod) ..?

A1: Yes sure. Issue the pairresync -restore command on the XP Snapshot pair in PSUS status to restore the pair. After that, the snapshot data will be written back to the P-VOL. During the operation,
the pair status changes to COPY(RS-R). When the operation completes, the pair status changes to PAIR.

2.How much Pool space is needed for snapshots ?

A2: This depends on the amount of changes you make to the P-Vol and S-Vol.
Best practice: Data is copied to the snapshot pool in units of 256KB (1 cache slot). Even if the write data is smaller than 256KB, 256KB of data will be copied, and 256 KB of the pool capacity will be consumed. Therefore, when specifying a pool size, specify a size larger than the amount of the write data.

3.If I use BC /snapshot combination ,i.e I will sync BC with Prod ,then take a snapshot of BC ,this snapshot I will present to test server ,where testing will be done . Im meanwhile can I keep synching BC with prod (in this scenario I am still taking backup from BC ) what effect it will have on snapshot ?
3.Can I use same pool for multiple snapshot of same Prod Vol OR can I can use same Pool for snapshot of different prod vol ...

A3: This is possible. For the dependencies and required BC/Snapshot states see the respective tables in the XP Snapshot User Guide. In the Sept 08 version starting on page 31. See:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01554243/c01554243.pdf

Cheers
XP-Pete
I love storage
Snapshot

Cheers Peter ...