1751712 Members
5631 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP sanctioned EVA5000 shutdown procedure

Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

HP sanctioned EVA5000 shutdown procedure

Does HP have a sanctioned EVA5000 graceful shutdown and startup procedure?
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I think it is just your standard methodology procedure....

Power down your servers...

Power down your EVA after a few minutes to make sure cache is written out...

Power down your switches.

Follow the opposite to power on the system.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

Steve -

We're pretty certain of the order and all, but I was looking for documentation with an official "HP" blessing. :)

It's more for establishing a procedure based upon an official HP document than for generating a document.

If someone were to ask: How do you know it's the best way? I could point to HP document.

Regards
Wayne Green
Frequent Advisor

Good question. I asked the same when we had 2 EVA3Ks installed. The CE didn't know of any official documentation but advised the shutdown of the EVA should be from the SMA, then controllers then disk enclosures.

I asked because these machines are on building UPS supplies and the power curcuit switches failed during a power cut and before we could throw any switches the power came back. Lit up the array like a Christmas Tree.

Same thing would happen with an EVA by the looks of things.
I'll have a beer, thanks
Thomas Kemp_1
Advisor

When I find out, I'll post. Looks like I'll need to open a ticket for the question.
Maxine Keung

Yes HP's sanctioned EVA5000 shutdown and startup procedure is specified in the Enterprise Virtual Array 3000/5000 user guide under the section EVA Operation. User Guide Part no: 5697-5480
Maxine Keung

Yes HP's sanctioned EVA5000 shutdown and startup procedure is specified in the Enterprise Virtual Array 3000/5000 user guide under the section EVA Operation. User Guide Part no: 5697-5480
Johney_Xu

just for EVA,I think you should first shutdown the controller,then shutdown the encolution
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

hey Thomas,

Do open a ticket with hp and then attempt a shutdown after confirmation.

regds.
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

After all I/O has been stopped in the eva (That is, umounting the luns or shutting down the servers), to shutdown the EVA you need to must the Command View EVA.

Select your eva storage, clic on "shut down", and then clic on "power down".

This will power down all disks enclosures and controllers, BE SURE OF MOVING THE POWER SWITCH OF THE CONTROLLERS AT THE REAR TO THE OFF POSSITION.

To power on your EVA, you must FIRST power on ALL disks enclosures and wait for the disks to spin up.

After that you can power on the controllers using the power switch at the rear of the controllers. DO NOT POWER ON THE CONTROLLERS BEFORE ALL DISKS HAVE SPIN UP.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?