New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

Hi!
I can`t connect HP9000 L-class server and EMC Symmetrix 3xxx on Fiber Channel.
My configuration:
1. Brocade switch SW2800.
2. HP9000 L-class with A5158A with General Release December 2000.
3. Sun 250 with Emulex 8000 Fimware EMC 4.02d.
4. EMC Symmetrix 3xxx.
All devices are configured in Direct Fabric Attach. The port on EMC DiskArray is configured in peripheral device mode (A-bit and V-bit off), because SUN not support Array Controller addressing. LUNs, connected to EMC FC port, has address 023, 022. I don`t know that mean this numbers on this condition.
Sun server sees LUNs correctly and working with 1st LUN. L-server don`t see these LUNs by ioscan command.

19 REPLIES 19
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

does the L see the fibre card?
what f/w revision has the switch?
what is the fc card product no?

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

L-class server has A5158A FC card.
Brocade has 2.1.9F firmware.
L-class server see FC card and work normally with DLT library over this FC card.
Stephan_K
HPE Pro

HP-UX sees the Luns only, if there is an Lun 0. If you begin with 2 followed by 3 and there is no Lun 0 ioscan will NOT detect these Luns.
For the devices which should be mapped to HP-UX begin with Lun 0 and so on ....
Regards
Stephan
I am an HPE employee.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,
EMC LUN on FC channel has 3 bytes numbering. I must assign 000 for 1st EMC LUN or I can assign 020 for it?
Stephan_K
HPE Pro
Solution

020 is also ok. The last digit is the Lun, the middle is the Target for SCSI protocol.
Regards
Stephan
I am an HPE employee.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,
Thanks. I shall try to reassign LUN numbers.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

I try change LUN number on 020 and situation is same, HP server don`t see EMC array.
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

You mentioned something earlier that concerns me. "L-class server see FC card and work normally with DLT library over this FC card."

I am by no means an expert on DLT's, but don't they operate in "private loop" mode? Is the HP interface card running in Fabric mode or Loop mode?

The following command will answer this question. (where x is a unique number associated with each FC interface)

fcmsutil /dev/tdx
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

It`s a HP DLT Library 2/20 with FC card. It operate in Direct Fabric Attach mode. All devices operate on Fiber Channel in Direct Fabric Attach Mode. The problem concern to addressing on Fiber Channel. Sun boxes use SCSI-2 device access protocol in addressing LUNs on Fiber Channel and what`s why EMC Symmetrix port is configured in Peripherial Device Mode now. In this addresing mode HP boxes with A5158A adapters don`t see LUNs on EMC box. I can`t reconfigure Symmetrix port in Array Controller Mode, because Sun box will not operate in this Mode. Can I make some configurations on HP boxes or EMC Symmetrix box for solve my trouble?