3676 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Herr Haeusinger

We have the same problem with a HDS 9900 disk-box. In peripheral device mode the hp-driver only sees LUN 0-7. We aleady opened a case with this problem. We were told that there will be a patch in august 2001 to enable the hp-driver to see more than the first eight LUNS. There is already a patch for the driver and ioscan to see LUNs behind a gap
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. We will be waiting HP patch.
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I was told by EMC that diferent OSs (like SUN and HP)could not share the same EMC director because of differences in the FC protocol.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Sergey: It sounds to me that Mark Van Hassel answer where the problem lies. The ports on EMC and XP boxes are be OS-specific. You can have only 1 OS per port. So, all LUNs on a port must be HP-UX or all Sun. You cannot mix the LUNs for Sun and HP on the same port.

Mark van Hassel: I thought it was port by port not the whole director (4 ports?) that must be in an OS specific mode. Are you sure it's the whole director? [I have more experience with XPs, where it's by the port]
No matter where you go, there you are.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

I investigate this question. The problem concern with FC adapter and driver for you OS. The HP FC-adapter and Emulex FC-adapter use different addressing rules and can`t working together.If you use HP box or Sun box with installed Emulex FC-adapter, than FC-port on EMC box must have same configuration. I can`t use HP with Emulex FC-adapter, because HP servers has critical support from HP.
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

It is indeed per port and not per director.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us
Andrew R.
Advisor

First of all Do you use Volume Logics software on the EMC to assign disk to each system (SAN)?

when you do ioscan do you see /dev/td#
if not you need to install the driver for the A5158

There is a setting on the Brocade switch for Quick loop make sure this setting is ON and try again.
Live for the infinity life
Andrew R.
Advisor

I also might want to install PHKL_21989 SCSI IO Subsystem Cumulative Patch this should solve the problem with the gap, if your target lun doesn't start with #0 .

Good Luck
Live for the infinity life
liam Fogarty_1
Advisor

Yes,
your problem is defin' the fact that you are trying to run Sun/HP on the same port.
Hp needs the hard volume addressing bit set, (A,H,V bits I think) so that is why you cannot see them.
If you change these bits then the sun will not be able to see the devices!
so move/Zone the HP to another port.
The lun addressing 023,022 is fine (again once you have the HP patch installed that lets you skip luns)

The only OS's that can share ports are SUN and WINDOWS (NT/2000). All others must use a seperate port for each type of OS.

hope this helps........
Liam
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

You are right. We investigated this problem for long time, HP servers with HP FC card uses volume addressing, but SUN servers with Emulex Card uses direct addressing. For EMC Symmetrix box you have to choose by soft switches only one of these addressing schemas. Now we use different ports for SUN and HP boxes.