Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

Hi!
I can`t connect HP9000 L-class server and EMC Symmetrix 3xxx on Fiber Channel.
My configuration:
1. Brocade switch SW2800.
2. HP9000 L-class with A5158A with General Release December 2000.
3. Sun 250 with Emulex 8000 Fimware EMC 4.02d.
4. EMC Symmetrix 3xxx.
All devices are configured in Direct Fabric Attach. The port on EMC DiskArray is configured in peripheral device mode (A-bit and V-bit off), because SUN not support Array Controller addressing. LUNs, connected to EMC FC port, has address 023, 022. I don`t know that mean this numbers on this condition.
Sun server sees LUNs correctly and working with 1st LUN. L-server don`t see these LUNs by ioscan command.

19 REPLIES
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP9000 and EMC on Fiber Channel

does the L see the fibre card?
what f/w revision has the switch?
what is the fc card product no?

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

L-class server has A5158A FC card.
Brocade has 2.1.9F firmware.
L-class server see FC card and work normally with DLT library over this FC card.
Stephan_K
HPE Pro

HP-UX sees the Luns only, if there is an Lun 0. If you begin with 2 followed by 3 and there is no Lun 0 ioscan will NOT detect these Luns.
For the devices which should be mapped to HP-UX begin with Lun 0 and so on ....
Regards
Stephan
I am an HPE employee.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,
EMC LUN on FC channel has 3 bytes numbering. I must assign 000 for 1st EMC LUN or I can assign 020 for it?
Stephan_K
HPE Pro
Solution

020 is also ok. The last digit is the Lun, the middle is the Target for SCSI protocol.
Regards
Stephan
I am an HPE employee.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,
Thanks. I shall try to reassign LUN numbers.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

I try change LUN number on 020 and situation is same, HP server don`t see EMC array.
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

You mentioned something earlier that concerns me. "L-class server see FC card and work normally with DLT library over this FC card."

I am by no means an expert on DLT's, but don't they operate in "private loop" mode? Is the HP interface card running in Fabric mode or Loop mode?

The following command will answer this question. (where x is a unique number associated with each FC interface)

fcmsutil /dev/tdx
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

It`s a HP DLT Library 2/20 with FC card. It operate in Direct Fabric Attach mode. All devices operate on Fiber Channel in Direct Fabric Attach Mode. The problem concern to addressing on Fiber Channel. Sun boxes use SCSI-2 device access protocol in addressing LUNs on Fiber Channel and what`s why EMC Symmetrix port is configured in Peripherial Device Mode now. In this addresing mode HP boxes with A5158A adapters don`t see LUNs on EMC box. I can`t reconfigure Symmetrix port in Array Controller Mode, because Sun box will not operate in this Mode. Can I make some configurations on HP boxes or EMC Symmetrix box for solve my trouble?
Herr Haeusinger
Occasional Visitor

We have the same problem with a HDS 9900 disk-box. In peripheral device mode the hp-driver only sees LUN 0-7. We aleady opened a case with this problem. We were told that there will be a patch in august 2001 to enable the hp-driver to see more than the first eight LUNS. There is already a patch for the driver and ioscan to see LUNs behind a gap
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. We will be waiting HP patch.
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I was told by EMC that diferent OSs (like SUN and HP)could not share the same EMC director because of differences in the FC protocol.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Sergey: It sounds to me that Mark Van Hassel answer where the problem lies. The ports on EMC and XP boxes are be OS-specific. You can have only 1 OS per port. So, all LUNs on a port must be HP-UX or all Sun. You cannot mix the LUNs for Sun and HP on the same port.

Mark van Hassel: I thought it was port by port not the whole director (4 ports?) that must be in an OS specific mode. Are you sure it's the whole director? [I have more experience with XPs, where it's by the port]
No matter where you go, there you are.
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

I investigate this question. The problem concern with FC adapter and driver for you OS. The HP FC-adapter and Emulex FC-adapter use different addressing rules and can`t working together.If you use HP box or Sun box with installed Emulex FC-adapter, than FC-port on EMC box must have same configuration. I can`t use HP with Emulex FC-adapter, because HP servers has critical support from HP.
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

It is indeed per port and not per director.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us
Andrew R.
Advisor

First of all Do you use Volume Logics software on the EMC to assign disk to each system (SAN)?

when you do ioscan do you see /dev/td#
if not you need to install the driver for the A5158

There is a setting on the Brocade switch for Quick loop make sure this setting is ON and try again.
Live for the infinity life
Andrew R.
Advisor

I also might want to install PHKL_21989 SCSI IO Subsystem Cumulative Patch this should solve the problem with the gap, if your target lun doesn't start with #0 .

Good Luck
Live for the infinity life

Yes,
your problem is defin' the fact that you are trying to run Sun/HP on the same port.
Hp needs the hard volume addressing bit set, (A,H,V bits I think) so that is why you cannot see them.
If you change these bits then the sun will not be able to see the devices!
so move/Zone the HP to another port.
The lun addressing 023,022 is fine (again once you have the HP patch installed that lets you skip luns)

The only OS's that can share ports are SUN and WINDOWS (NT/2000). All others must use a seperate port for each type of OS.

hope this helps........
Liam
Sergey_16
Occasional Advisor

You are right. We investigated this problem for long time, HP servers with HP FC card uses volume addressing, but SUN servers with Emulex Card uses direct addressing. For EMC Symmetrix box you have to choose by soft switches only one of these addressing schemas. Now we use different ports for SUN and HP boxes.